The recipe will become a goto recipe when you really want to impress folks. The other great thing about this Vegan Crab-less Cake recipe is that you can make small cakes for appetizers, a large one for an entree or put it between a bun and call it a sandwich.
Vegan Crab Cakes
Heart of Palm Cake (aka Crabless Cake)
Servings: 5 Cakes
The recipe will become a go-to recipe when you really want to impress folks. The other great thing about this Vegan Crab-less Cake recipe is that you can make small cakes for appetizers, a large one for an entree, or put it between a bun and call it a sandwich.Print Recipe
- Oil Thermomter
- Grape seed oil
- Drain the Hearts of Palms, place on a dry cloth and allow to dry.
- In a large bowl add the cashew cream, Dijon mustard, caper brine liquid, maple syrup, garbanzo bean flour, kelp granules, Panko bread crumbs, kosher salt, Old Bay seasoning, dill, parsley, and plant milk. Stir to combine.
- Cut the heart of palm in half lengthwise, then cut into ½ inch pieces. Add the cut Heart of Palms to the mixture and start to combine. The goal is to create a homogenized mixture without over mixing and breaking up the heart of palms too much, we want there to be some chunks and some smaller pieces.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the mixture and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover the cakes and place in the refrigerator for 45 minutes.
- Setting up the dredging station, place the all purpose flour on a plate, the Just egg into a bowl and the Panko bread crumbs on a plate. Starting with the flour, place the scooped cake into the flour, gently cover all sides and pat off any excess flour, then quickly dunk the cake into the Just Egg, then into the panko bread crumbs. Start to form the cake by firmly pressing the Panko into the cake and forming a patty at the same time. Once you have the desired shape you want, put the cake back onto the baking sheet. After all of the cakes have been formed place the cakes in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest and set.
- Heat a large pot with enough grape seed oil to fry 2 cakes at a time. Using a candy thermometer, heat the oil to 350 degrees, carefully place two cakes into the oil. Fry until golden brown on all sides. Place the cooked cakes on a drain rack. Repeat until all cakes are cooked. Optional: these crab-less cakes can be pan fried as well.
Serving: 4Ounces | Calories: 335kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 284mg | Potassium: 1667mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 142IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 4mg