Introduction to Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce is your passport to an exceptional recipe that combines the earthy warmth of autumn with the comfort of a classic pasta dish. Creating a delectable and rich pasta sauce that is both creamy and vegan might seem like a culinary challenge, but fear not! Today, we’re about to embark on a culinary journey that will lead us to a velvety, indulgent, and heartwarming dish.
Pumpkin, with its enchanting orange hue and sweet, nutty flavor, is often associated with cozy sweaters, falling leaves, and crackling fires. But this humble gourd is not just for carving into jack-o’-lanterns or filling Thanksgiving pies. It also shines as the star ingredient in our luscious pasta sauce, lending a depth of flavor and a creamy consistency that will make you forget it’s vegan.
This dish is a symphony of colors, flavors, and textures. The sweetness of the pumpkin harmonizes with a medley of aromatic herbs and spices, while the creamy base combines with al dente bucatini to create a perfect union of comfort and sophistication.
What sets this recipe apart is its 100% vegan credentials. No dairy, no animal products, just pure plant-based goodness. Whether you’re a dedicated vegan or just someone looking to incorporate more plant-based meals into your diet, this sauce will have you craving seconds, thirds, and fourths.
The secret to making this dish sing is the crispy pumpkin garnish that we sprinkle on top of the pasta, adding texture, spice, and the perfect bite of autumn. Plus, you can easily adjust the spice level to your taste.
Prepare to be amazed at how simple and rewarding it is to create a pumpkin pasta sauce that is cruelty-free and unbelievably scrumptious. The ingredients are readily available at your local grocery store, and the steps are easy to follow, even if you’re not a seasoned chef.
So, grab your apron, sharpen your knives, and get ready to embark on this culinary journey that will leave you craving the comforting embrace of Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce. Your kitchen is about to become the stage for a culinary masterpiece. Let’s get started!
Shop the Recipe…
What You Need…
How to Make Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
Creamy Pumpkin Sauce
Spicy Toasted Pumpkin and Garlic Topping
- 1 cup pumpkin small dice
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp sage fresh, chiffonade
- 8 oz bucatini pasta
How to Make Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- Heat pot over medium heat, add the extra virgin olive oil, sauté the onions and garlic, and season with salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the diced pumpkin and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice wine vinegar, and cook until just about completely reduced.
- Add the cashews, vegetable stock, plant milk, bay leaf, and thyme sprigs.
- Cook the sauce over low heat until the pumpkin is tender. It is okay if the liquid is reduced a little.
- Puree until smooth. It’s better to have the sauce thick than thin.
How to Make Spicy Toasted Pumpkin and Garlic Topping
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the extra virgin olive oil.
- Cook the pumpkin until tender and crisp on the edges, season with kosher salt. Set aside.
- Clean and dry the pan, and add another Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Cook the sliced shallots and garlic over medium-high heat, and season with kosher salt. Sauté until the garlic is a light golden brown.
- Finish with cooking by adding the red chili flakes and sage.
- Add the crisp pumpkin and stir to combine.
How to Cook Bucatini Pasta
- Cook the pasta in seasoned water until al dente.
- Save a cup of pasta cooking water.
- Drain the pasta, but don’t rinse the noodles.
How to Bring it Together
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add a few big spoonfuls of cream pumpkin sauce to the pan and a dash of extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the noodles to the sauté pan, start to cook, and coat the noodles. The sauce should evenly coat the noodles, reduced but not too thick. To adjust the thickness add some pasta cooking water.
- Place the past in a bowl and spoon some spicy crispy pumpkin on top.
- Finish with a chiffonade of sage.