Tomato Concasse is one of the special recipes that will thrill the senses and impress the pickiest eaters around. This simple and easy-to-make recipe is perfect with summer tomatoes.
Concassé, from the French concasser, “to crush or grind“, is a cooking term meaning to rough chop any ingredient, usually vegetables or fruit. Simply put, it means peeling, removing the seeds, and cutting them into small dice. In our version of tomato concassé, we’ve added a bit of olive oil and salt to enhance the already enchanting flavors of the tomatoes.
When I was a young cook working my way through culinary school, I was eager to learn techniques to improve my skills. I had taken French in High School but was never that great at it. I was an intern at The Savoy in San Francisco when I first heard the term concassé. This was before smartphones so I has to wait to figure it out until I could find my copy of Escoffier and look it up.
This recipe is perfect for the Crabless Cake Burger.
Shop the Recipe…
The affiliate links above earn us a small commission on the purchase if you use the link. We appreciate your support.
How to Make Tomato Concasse
Servings: 8 ounces
Tomato Concasse is one of the special recipes that will thrill the senses and impress the pickiest eaters around. This simple and easy-to-make recipe is perfect with summer tomatoes.Print Recipe
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Remove the core and score the bottom of the tomato, making an X, make sure to not cut too deep into the flesh of the tomato.
- Place the tomatoes in the boiling water, cook for 30 seconds. Using a spider skimmer or tongs, remove and plunge the tomatoes into an ice bath to stop the cooking.
- Gently dry the tomatoes, peel the skin from the flesh.
- Cut the tomato meat away from the seeds, then dice the tomato into a small dice.
- Place the tomatoes in a bowl, season with salt, extra virgin olive oil and cracked black cumin.
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Serving: 1oz. | Calories: 68kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 0.4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 293mg | Potassium: 96mg | Fiber: 0.5g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 326IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 0.3mg