Potato Croquettes with Spicy Carrot Sauce
Vegan Potato Croquettes with spicy carrot sauce and pickled onions are a tasty starter or hors d’oeuvre/ canapé.
We were inspired to use leftover mashed potatoes and maple-glazed carrots from our Thanksgiving feast to make this amazing appetizer. You don’t have to use leftovers to make this dish so if you make fresh mashed potatoes for the croquettes, you may want to let them sit overnight so they dry out just a bit.
WHAT YOU NEED…
How To Make Vegan Potato Croquettes
How to Make Spicy Carrot Sauce
Vegan Potato Croquettes with Spicy Carrot Sauce
Servings: 12 Croquettes
Vegan Potato Croquettes with spicy carrot sauce and pickled onions are a tasty starter or hors d'oeuvre. We were inspired to use leftover mashed potatoes and maple glazed carrots from our Thanksgiving feast to make this amazing appetizer. You don't have to use left over to make this dish so if you make fresh mashed potatoes for the croquettes, you may want to let them sit overnight so they dry out just a bit.Print Recipe
MISO POTATO CROQUETTES
- 1 cup mashed potatoes slightly dry leftovers work best- recipe here
- 2 Tbsp garbanzo bean flour
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp panko
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp miso yellow
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp chives fresh chopped
POTATO CROQUETTES COATING
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp garbanzo flour
- 2 Tbsp plant milk
BABY PICKLED RED ONION WITH SESAME SEEDS
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2-3 red onions baby sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp chives fresh chopped finely
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp sesame seeds
SPICED CARROT SAUCE
- 1 cup maple glazed carrots leftover- recipe here
- ½ cup cashews
- 1 tsp ginger ground
- 1 birds eye pepper roasted
- 1 kaffir lime leaf
- 2 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- ¾ cup plant milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
HOW TO MAKE MISO POTATO CROQUETTES
- Place the leftover mashed potatoes in a bowl.
- Add the miso paste, and rice wine vinegar then stir to combine.
- Add the garbanzo bean flour, the all-purpose flour, and the panko bread crumbs. Stir to evenly disperse.
- Add the chopped chives.
- Scoop one-ounce balls, and place them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the freezer for 5 minutes, this will help set the croquettes.
- Gently rolls the potato croquettes in the panko bread crumbs to keep a nice ball shape. Place back on the baking tray and place in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
- For the egg replacer, combine the garbanzo bean flour and plant milk. The consistency should be like heavy cream or full-fat coconut milk.
- Heat pot of extra virgin olive oil to 300 degrees.
- Remove the potato croquettes from the refrigerator. Carefully roll the croquette in the garbanzo bean liquid, then place it right into the bowl of panko bread crumbs. Make sure to reshape the croquette before place on the baking tray.
- Give one last roll in the panko breadcrumbs and reshape the croquette into a perfect little ball. Place in the hot oil. Cook until golden brown.
HOW TO MAKE BABY PICKLED RED ONION WITH SESAME SEEDS
- In a sauce pot heat the water, brown sugar, salt, and rice wine vinegar, stir to dissolve the salt and brown sugar
- Turn the heat off, and add the thinly sliced baby red onions.
- All the onion to sit for 30-45 minutes.
- Remove the onions from the brine, place in a bowl, add the sesame oil, chives, and sesame seeds, and stir to combine. Set aside.
HOW TO MAKE SPICY ROASTED CARROT SAUCE
- Roughly chop the roasted carrots.
- Heat a sauce pot over medium-low heat, and add the extra virgin olive oil.
- Lightly toast the bird’s eye pepper, then add the ground ginger and kaffir lime leaf, and continue to sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the cashews, vegetable stop, plant milk, rice wine vinegar, seasoned rice wine vinegar, and chopped roasted carrots.
- Simmer over low heat until the cashews are tender. About 30 minutes, if the liquid has reduced a lot add a splash or two of plant milk. Remove the kaffir lime leaf.
- Place the sauce in a blender, remove ¼ cup of the cooking liquid and set aside.
- Start to puree the sauce on high speed, if the sauce is very thick slowly add some of the cooking liquid back into the puree until you reach a nice consistency.
- Remove the sauce from the blender and set aside.
- You have options with this dish.
- The first is to give three per person on the plate as a starter. If you want to do this, start by putting the Spicy Carrot puree into 3 individual dots around the plate if you use a round plate. If you are using a rectangle plate, then evenly space l three dots along the plate. Using the back of the spoon make small circles to increase the size of the dot. Place a crispy miso potato croquette in the middle of the sauce. Gently pile the pickled red onions on top of the miso potato croquettes.
- The second is to plate the Miso Potato croquettes as a canapé. Place the crispy Miso Potato Croquette on a platter. Place a small dollop of the Spicy carrot sauce on top. Gently pile the pickled red onion and chive salad on top.
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 132kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 257mg | Potassium: 228mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1895IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 1mg