Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Crispy Smashed Potatoes are one of my favorite dishes. They are so versatile and delicious. You can serve them as a side dish, an appetizer, or just go for it and make a meal of them.
How to Make Crispy Smashed Potatoes
There are a couple of technical issues that can derail your smashed potatoes.
The first is overcooking your potatoes, this will lead to the potatoes absorbing too much water, which will make it very hard to get a crispy smashed potato.
The second is not allowing the potatoes to cool before you smash them, as the potato is cooling it is also drying off.
The third is not adding enough salt to the water, seasoning the water will season the potato as it is cooking, creating an even seasoning of the whole potato.
There are many ways to serve Crispy Smashed Potatoes.
An hors d’oeuvre for a cocktail party is a great choice. This is a fantastic bite that is full of richness and umami that pairs well with a variety of wines and cocktails.
You can also serve it as a side dish, it would be great with the Vegan Steak recipe, and it could also be a side for your next holiday dinner. Also as a summer salad that is dressed with a light lemon vinaigrette.
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Servings: 10 potatoes
Crispy Smashed Potatoes are one of my favorite dishes. They are so versatile and delicious. You can serve them as a side dish, an appetizer, or just go for it and make a meal of them.Print Recipe
- 10 baby Yukon potatoes
- 4 quarts water
- 1 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- ½ cup caramelized onions see recipe
- ¼ cup vegan Parmesan cheese (sub vegan mozzerella)
- 1 Tbsp parsley chopped
How to make Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Preheat oven 425 degrees.
- Start with washing and scrubbing the skins of the potatoes.
- In a large pot combine the water, kosher salt, and potatoes, bring to a boil. Once the potatoes reach a boil reduce the heat to a low simmer.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes. Using the tip of a paring knife you should be able to gently push the knife into the potato with little effort.
- Drain the cooked potatoes. Place the potatoes on a baking tray to cool for 15 minutes.
- Using a potato masher (you can even use the palm of your hand or the bottom of a glass) gently press down on the potato to create a smashed disc.
- Heat a heavy sauté pan over medium heat. Add the olive to the pan, place the smashed potatoes in the pan, season the potatoes with a pinch of salt and a small drizzle of olive oil. Place in the oven at 425 degrees for 20 min. The potatoes should be crisp on the bottom and starting to become brown on the edges.
- Remove from oven set aside.
How to build Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Sprinkle a pinch of vegan Parmesan cheese on top of the potato.
- The caramelized onions go on top of the vegan cheese
- Finish with another sprinkling of vegan cheese.
- Place the potatoes back in the oven cooking for 5-8 minutes. The cheese should be melted, the onions should be hot.
- Finish by garnishing with the chopped parsley
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 96kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 0.4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 728mg | Potassium: 735mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 37IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg