Vegan Scalloped Potatoes are luscious, creamy, and a perfect example of comfort food.
We’ve tested many versions of vegan scalloped potatoes and this one is the absolute best yet.
Our vegan heavy cream sauce is the perfect balance of sweet and umami and the potatoes hold their integrity yet melt in your mouth. It’s a perfectly balanced dance of flavors and textures, sure to become a tradition for every holiday season.
Shop the Recipe…
The affiliate links above earn us a small commission on the purchase if you use the link. We appreciate your support.
WHAT YOU NEED…
Potatoes: choose small to medium-sized Yukon potatoes.
Mushrooms: add umami notes to the vegan “heavy cream” sauce.
Cashews: give the sauce the fat for the sauce
Onion: give an important aromatic herbaceousness to the sauce.
How To Make Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
Slice the potatoes thinly, then toss in olive oil. Massage the potatoes with the oil to coat them completely.
Place the sliced and oiled potatoes onto a sheet pan and bake for about 10 minutes.
Place a layer of potatoes to cover the bottom of the pan then add a layer of the vegan cream sauce.
Add another layer of potatoes then the garlic, thyme oil, cream sauce, and repeat depending on how many layers you want. For the final layer, shingle the potatoes to create a shingled effect.
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes ready for the oven.
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
Servings: 6 as a side
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes are luscious, creamy, and a perfect example of comfort food. We've tested many versions of vegan scalloped potatoes and this one is the absolute best yet. Our vegan heavy cream sauce is the perfect balance of sweet and umami and the potatoes hold their integrity yet melt in your mouth. It's a perfectly balanced dance of flavors and textures, sure to become a tradition for every holiday season.Print Recipe
VEGAN HEAVY CREAM
PARSLEY, THYME, GARLIC OIL
- 2 Tbsp parsley chopped fine
- 1 tsp garlic fresh minced
- 1 Tbsp Thyme whole leaves
- 2 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Pinch sea salt
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN HEAVY CREAM SAUCE
- Add the oil, onions, button mushrooms, cashews, salt, and bay leaf. Allow the onion and mushrooms to sweat for about 1 minute.
- Add the rice wine vinegar, maple syrup, dry vermouth, vegetable stock, and plant milk. Cook over very low heat until the cashews are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Make a slurry with the tapioca starch with 2 Tbsp plant milk, and whisk to combine. Whisk into the mixture cooking for 1 minute.
- Puree until super smooth. The consistency should be just about heavy cream, if it’s too thick add a dash of plant milk. If it’s too thin add 1 tsp of tapioca starch.
HOW TO MAKE POTATOES FOR SCALLOPED POTATOES
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice potatoes thinly using a mandolin slicer.
- Massage the sliced potatoes with oil and salt by using your hands.
- Spread oiled potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet, cooking for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool to the touch.
- When you get to the last layer of potato, which is the layer of potatoes. Us 3-4 round potatoes and slice them. Toss in oil and salt, but you will not par cook these.
HOW TO MAKE PARSLEY, THYME, GARLIC OIL
- 2Tbsp parsley, chopped fine
- 1tsp garlic, fresh, minced
- 1Tbsp Thyme, whole leaves
- 2Tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- Pinch sea salt
- Combine all ingredients and mix to incorporate.
BUILDING VEGAN SCALLOPED POTATOES
- Preheat the 375 degrees
- On low heat, use a cast iron pan with a 1Tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Place the par-cooked potatoes in a fanned design to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Place a layer of vegan heavy cream on the potatoes.
- Place a layer of potatoes, followed by another layer of vegan heavy cream.
- Drizzle the garlic, thyme, and parsley mixture. (Every other layer)
- Repeat until the dish is almost full.
- Once you get to the final layer, fan the thinly sliced raw potatoes closer together (see video).
- Place the potatoes in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the potatoes on top are golden brown and crispy. The middle should be hot.
- Drizzle the garlic, thyme, and parsley mixture on top. Allow the potatoes to set for at least 10 minutes before serving
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 448kcal | Carbohydrates: 85g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 1692mg | Potassium: 1795mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 759IU | Vitamin C: 83mg | Calcium: 150mg | Iron: 4mg