This Vegan Meatloaf Recipe is one of the first things I made when we went vegan. It’s a dish that many of us grew up eating. I honestly missed eating meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy, this is total comfort food for me. I wanted to recreate the umami and the texture of a meatloaf, these are the 2 foundations of meatloaf in addition I wanted it to be healthy. The Oats and the chickpea are great sources of fiber and protein as well as flavor. When the loaf is baked and topped with the spicy ketchup glaze you are left with an amazing loaf that is full of flavor and wonderful texture that is firm and moist. You could very easily add chopped and sautéed mushrooms to his loaf to create a Vegan Meatloaf with mushrooms. Pair this Vegan Meatloaf recipe with our mashed potatoes and gravy recipes and you have a new tradition for your family.
Servings: 4 People
Pair this Vegan Meatloaf recipe with our mashed potatoes and gravy recipes and you have a new tradition for your family.Print Recipe
- 1 Food processor
- 1 can Garbanzo Beans
- ¼ cup Garbanzo bean liquid
- 1 cup Oatmeal
- ½ cup Walnuts pieces
- 1 Carrot small diced
- ½ cup Yellow Onion Diced
- ½ cup Celery Diced
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes soaked
- 1 Tbsp Light Yellow Miso
- ¼ cup Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Marmite
- 1 Tbsp Tamari Sauce
- ¼ tsp Smoked Paprika
- ¼ tsp Granulated Garlic
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp Caper Juice
- ¼ Cup Fresh Parsley Chopped
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Drain, reserve ¼ of liquid, rinse the garbanzo beans.
- Place the walnuts, and the oats in a food processor, blend until the mixture has a flour-like consistency. Remove the walnuts and the oats. Place the garbanzo beans and the sun-dried tomatoes in the food processor, plus to combine, we are looking for the mixture to be pureed a little but also a little chunky.
- Over medium-low heat add the olive oil to a sauté pan, add the carrots, celery, and garlic, season with salt, cook for 5 minutes. The vegetables should be soft and tender.
- Remove half of the garbanzo bean and sun-dried tomato mixture, add ketchup, marmite, yellow miso, soy sauce, caper liquid, smoked paprika, granulated garlic, onion powder, and Kosher Salt, puree until smooth.
- In a large bowl combine all of the mixtures, the oat and walnut flour, and both garbanzo bean purees, mix by hand until all of the ingredients are evenly mixed. Place the loaf mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Form the mixture into a loaf shape. Place in an oven-safe baking dish. Spread the spicy maple ketchup topping on the loaf, add a small amount of water to the bottom of the pan. Cook for 45 minutes. Check the water level after 20 minutes, if the water has evaporated add a little more, you didn’t want too much because it will make the bottom edge of the loaf too soft.
- The loaf is done when it is hot in the middle and the top is getting some color and caramelization of the Ketchup topping.
Spicy Maple Ketchup Spread Method
- Combine all of the ingredients until completely mixed.
Nutritional Values are estimates.
Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 1496mg | Potassium: 1412mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 3385IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 4mg