Sometimes you need to just start from scratch and come up with a new Tofu Burger Recipe. This recipe will teach you how to make the tofu stick together which is the key to this burger. That’s what we have done, I really missed that smashed, crispy style tofu burger that’s golden brown along the edges. This Tofu burger is full of umami flavor with a hint of smoke. Just slap your favorite vegan cheese on top, smear the vegan special sauce over the bun and you have your In & Out Style burger, but Vegan! It’s better for the planet, the animals, and your health.
Shop the Recipe...
Tofu Burger Patties
Combine wet and dry seasoning
Combine Seasoning and Tofu
Mix to combine
Allow to hydrate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minute
Combine into Blender
Add Sweet relish after blending
Spread generously onto Toasted Bun
Forming the Patties
Use an ice cream scoop to form the patty
Form round & Flat
Cook until Golden Brown
Bring it all together!
Slice & Season Onions
Add Cheese to the cooked patties
Cover & add water to steam/melt cheese
Melted vegan deliciousness
Add grilled Onion
Finish with you favorite toppings
Servings: 6 Burger Patties
Sometimes you need to just start from scratch and come up with a new Tofu Burger Recipe. This recipe will teach you how to make the tofu stick together which is the key to this burger. That’s what we have done, I really missed that smashed, crispy style tofu burger that’s golden brown along the edges. This Tofu burger is full of umami flavor with a hint of smoke. Just slap your favorite vegan cheese on top, smear the vegan special sauce over the bun and you have your In & Out Style burger, but Vegan! It’s better for the planet, the animals, and your health.Print Recipe
Tofu Burger Patties
- 1 14 oz package Tofu Shredded
Wet Seasoning Mix
- 2 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp Maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp Molasses
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
Dry Seasoning Mix
- 1 12 oz. silken tofu
- ½ cup cashews
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ½ tsp smoked Paprika
- ¼ cup sweet relish
- 1 Yellow Onion
- Black Pepper to taste
- Kosher Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Hamburger Buns see recipe
- Shredded Lettuce
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Dill Pickles
- Hot sauce
- You Know, whatever you like, it's your burger 😉
Method Tofu Burger
- Place the tomato paste, maple syrup, molasses and soy sauce in a sauté pan, add the dry seasoning to the pan. Heat the mixture over low heat for 5 minutes, make sure to stir and scrape the bottom of the pan, the goal of this step is to release the flavors of the dried spices and to start the cooking of the tomato paste, this will bring out the umami flavors. Set aside to cool.
- Remove the tofu from the package and gently dry some of the excess water. Using a box grater carefully start grading the tofu, you need to press firming against the box grater.
- Place the grated tofu in the pan with the seasoning mixture, add the garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, panko bread crumbs, and the liquid smoke. Start to gently mix, the goal is to retain the grated tofu texture and shape. Once mixed, cover and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Form Tofu Burger Patties. Place a scoop on parchment paper and gentle smash the patty down to form a thin patty that is just a little larger than your bun.
- Heat a pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Add Tbsp of olive oil to the pan, place the tofu burger patty over the oil, cook until the patty is very crisp and a deep golden brown. Place the vegan cheese on top of each patty and then stack the patties on top of each other. Place a metal bowl or lid over the patties, add 2 Tbsp of water under the bowl, and steam. Steam for 1 minute. This will perfectly melt the vegan cheese.
Method Special Sauce
- Place the cashews in a pot of water and bring to a boil cooking for 3 minutes, set aside to cool
- Add the cashews, silken tofu, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, ketchup, and smoked paprika to a high-speed blender puree until very smooth, slowly add the olive oil to the purée on high speed, this should only take 10 seconds to add the oil. Place the Puree into a mixing bowl.
- Mix the sweet relish into the special sauce by hand. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Method Roasted Onion
- Cut the onion into 1/4 inch discs. The key to making a perfect roasted onion is how thick you slice the onion disc and 1/4 inch is the perfect thickness. This allows the onion to char on the outside and starts to get soft and delectable, at the same time has a structure and a bit of firmness to it. It's a perfect balance.
- Season the onion with salt and pepper, on both sides, allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before cooking. This pulls out some of the moisture and allows the onion to absorb the seasoning.
- Place the onion and the olive oil in a hot pan cook for about 5 minutes on each side.
Build your burger(s) and enjoy!
Nutritional values are an estimate and are not to be considered exact.
Serving: 4Ounces | Calories: 145kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 978mg | Potassium: 315mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 338IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 2mg