This is not traditional stir fry! I have taken the principles of Stir Fry and made the steps easy and repeatable. The best part is you can swap out the vegetables as the seasons change, just use the same technique.
Shop the Recipe...
How To Make Tempeh Stir Fry
Slice the tempeh then mix the five spice and corn starch to coat the tempeh.
Thoroughly coat the tempeh then cook in the skillet.
Cook the tempeh on all sides then set aside for stir fry.
How to Prepare the Stir Fry Vegetables
Cut the asparagus and red bell pepper on the bias to create a sophisticated look.
Cooking separately, lightly char the asparagus and bell peppers
How to Make Eggplant for Stir Fry
Cut the Chinese eggplant
Eggplant before seasoning
Ready for the oven
How to make Stir Fry Sauce
Stir fry sauce ingredients
Five spice and chili flakes
Combine all Sauce ingredients and mix well.
Cooking the Tempeh Stir Fry
Slice the garlic
Mince the ginger
Stir fry ingredients
Cook the garlic and ginger
Add the tempeh
Next the asparagus
and the bell pepers
and finally the eggplant
Pour in the sauce
Reduce the sauce and toss to incorporate.
Garnish with scallions, pickled onions, mint and sesame seeds.
If you don’t own a wok it's no problem, a large heavy sauté pan will work just fine.
The hard part with making a stir fry is getting the timing of cooking the protein, and vegetables and making the sauce, all without overcooking or undercooking the vegetables.
This stir fry recipe is a great dinner party dish, do all of the vegetable prep ahead of time, leaving you plenty of time to enjoy your guest and then impress them with how easily you cooked a stir fry that is full of bright, fresh robust flavors
Tempeh Stir Fry
Servings: 4 People
This is not traditional stir fry! I have taken the principles of Stir Fry and made the steps easy and repeatable. The best part is you can swap out the vegetables as the seasons change, just use the same technique.Print Recipe
- 1 Wok optional
Roasted Asparagus and Red Bell Pepper
Spiced Roasted Eggplant
Stir Fry Sauce
For the Stir Fry
- 1 Tbsp ginger fresh grated
- 4 cloves garlic fresh, peeled, grated
Stir Fry Garnish
- 1 pickled red onion
- 1 cup scallions sliced thinly
- ¼ cup mint leaves fresh
- ¼ cup basil leaves fresh
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
How to make sauté tempeh
- Cut the tempeh into 1”x ½” rectangles. Toss the tempeh with the cornstarch and five-spice powder.
- Heat a wok or sauté pan over medium-high heat, add the extra virgin olive oil, and sauté the tempeh until crisp on all sides.
- Place on a baking sheet. Set aside.
How to make pan-roasted asparagus and red bell peppers
- Heat a wok or heavy sauté pan over high heat.
- Add the cut asparagus to the pan. Cook the asparagus without moving the asparagus, this allows the asparagus to become roasted and charred. Stir or flip the asparagus after cooking for 3 minutes.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil, and season with the kosher salt.
- Remove from the pan and place on the same baking sheet as the tempeh. Set aside.
- Add the red bell peppers to the same pan, cooking for 5 minutes. We are looking for the same texture and char as we have on the asparagus. Flip the peppers cooking for 2-3 minutes more.
- Set aside on the sheet tray along with the tempeh, and asparagus.
How to make Spice roasted Chinese eggplant.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the eggplant into 2” rounds.
- Place the eggplant rounds in a large bowl, and season with the kosher salt, Marsala pickling spice, and the extra virgin olive oil.
- Use your hands to massage the eggplant, pressing the seasoning into the eggplant.
- Place the eggplant on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cook for 10 minutes. Flip the eggplant cooking for another 10 minutes.
- The eggplant should be a little crispy around the edges and deep roasted color. Remove the from the oven and set it aside with the other stir fry ingredients.
How To Make Stir Fry Sauce
- Combine the red pepper flakes, five-spice powder, cornstarch, soy sauce, water, maple syrup, sweet soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar.
- Whisk to combine. Set aside.
Creating the Stir Fry
- Heat a wok or heavy sauté pan over high heat.
- Heat 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil and add the ginger and garlic. Cooking for 2 minutes.
- Continue to cook on high heat, add the crispy tempeh, and cook for 3 minutes stirring to toast all of the ingredients.
- Bell peppers go in next and stir to combine.
- Asparagus goes in next, scrape the bottom of the wok to remove any toasted pieces.
- Add the eggplant rounds.
- Pour the sauce into the middle of the pan, and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Push the vegetable up the side of the wok. Continue to cook the sauce over high heat, stirring and cooking for 1 roughly minute, or until thick. Stir to coat all of the vegetables.
- Spoon the stir fry onto a plate, garnish with sliced scallion, and gently scatter pickled red onions and torn pieces of mint and basil over and around the stir fry. The last touch is to sprinkle the stir fry with sesame seeds. Serve with steamed rice or pan-fried noodles tossed with salt and spice sesame oil.
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 355kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 1430mg | Potassium: 1011mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 2300IU | Vitamin C: 56mg | Calcium: 181mg | Iron: 6mg