Introduction to Black Sesame Cauliflower
Whole roasted black sesame cauliflower is brined and glazed then roasted to create a delicious and dramatic vegan entrée. I started by brining the cauliflower and then finished with a stunning black sesame glaze. This easy recipe will satisfy your palette and your aesthetic.
I’ve always approached recipes with both taste and appearance in mind. I love the contrast between the black sesame paste and ivory cauliflower meat.
With this whole roasted cauliflower, I use bold Asian flavors, sesame paste, sesame oil, five spice, and the tangy notes from the brine. This roasted cauliflower is a showstopping vegan dish, serve it will soba noodle salad and a lovey Sauvignon blanc.
Shop the Recipe…
The affiliate links above earn us a small commission on the purchase if you use the link. We appreciate your support.
What You Need…
To check if the cauliflower is cooked, insert a sharp knife gently into the middle of the cauliflower. If it’s tender, it’s cooked and ready for the next step.
Black Sesame Roasted Cauliflower
Servings: 4 people
Whole roasted cauliflower brined and coated with black sesame paste creates a delicious and dramatic entréePrint Recipe
Cauliflower Brine Liquid
How to make Cauliflower Brine Liquid
- Combine the water, salt, brown sugar, vinegar, and Togarashi. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Place the pickling spice in cheesecloth, and tie it with the twine to make a bouquet garni. Place in the brine.
- Trim and remove the bottom leaves.
- Place in the brine upside down, and cook on low for 5 minutes.
- Flip the carefully flip the cauliflower, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower. Place on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper and a cooling rack.
How to Make Five Spice Oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine the sesame oil and five spice.
- Using a pastry brush coat the cauliflower evenly.
- Place in the oven cooking for 15 minutes.
How to make Black Sesame Seed Glaze
- Stir the rice wine vinegar into the black sesame paste, and slowly incorporate the remaining ingredients.
- The pasta needs to be fairly thick. If it is not add another teaspoon of black sesame paste.
- Apply a thick coating on the cauliflower.
- Cook in the oven at 425 for 15 minutes.
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 5879mg | Potassium: 534mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 19IU | Vitamin C: 71mg | Calcium: 132mg | Iron: 2mg