Vegan Cauliflower Steaks are pretty common but we’re here to show you how to elevate this dish without breaking a sweat. My favorite thing about this dish (aside from the amazing flavor) is that you can dress it up as a fancy composed dish or serve it family-style rustically. Don’t worry, we’re going to walk you through it.
Shop the Recipe...
How To Make Vegan Cauliflower Steaks
Cut the Cauliflower into medallion style steaks, the steaks need to be big enough to roast and retain texture.
The marinade will bring a big flavor to the vegan cauliflower steaks, yellow miso is the umami builder in this marinade, soy sauce also brings richness and depth. Cover the entire cauliflower with the marinade then roast to caramelize the marinade. This will create the flavors that give "meatiness" in the cauliflower steak.
We've paired a deep rich curry sauce that is cooked with red lentils you have a meal that is packed with protein and fiber, more importantly, it is packed with flavor and texture.
I have paired Baby Bok Choy with this dish, it is vibrant in color and adds a freshness to the dish. The Sunflower seed crunch is a spinoff of a garlic crunch. It is packed with spice and texture to add another layer of scrumptiousness.
Vegan Cauliflower Steak Recipe
Make the Marinade
Cut the Cauliflower
Quarter the Cauliflower
Coat Cauliflower with the Marinade
Making the Curry Sauce
Start the Curry Sauce
Add the Coconut Milk
Stir in the Plant Milk
Finish with Parsley
Preparing the Baby Bok Choy
Cut the Bok Choy into Quarters & Season
Roast the Bok Choy
Making the Sunflower Seed Crunch
Sautéing the Crunch ingredients
Finish with Sesame Oil
Vegan Cauliflower Steak
Servings: 4 People
Vegan Cauliflower Steaks are pretty common but we’re here to show you how to elevate this dish without breaking a sweat.Print Recipe
- 1 Cauliflower whole
Curry and Lentil Sauce
Method for Cauliflower Steak & Marinade
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a bowl, whisk to combine. Cut the cauliflower into quarters. Start by turning the cauliflower upside down so that you can see the stem clearly, cut straight down the stem cutting in half, repeat with the halves creating quarters. Using your hand rub the marinade all over the cauliflower, make sure to get in between the small spaces between the florets. Place the coated cauliflower on a baking sheet that has been lightly coated with oil.
Method for Curry Sauce and Lentils
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil. Allow the olive oil to heat up before adding the grated garlic and ginger. Cooking for 1 minute, add the curry powder and the tomato paste, continue to cook. Toasting the tomato paste and the curry powder allows the essential oil to be released, creating layers to our sauce. Add the cayenne pepper to the mixture, add the coconut milk, the soy sauce, and the kaffir lime leaves. Stir to mix, reduce the heat to low, cook for 15 minutes. This step allows the sauce to build flavor and create a layered of bold flavor before we add the lentils. Once we add the lentils the cooking time is limited to 15 minutes because once the lentils are cooked that’s the end of the cooking time to develop flavor.
- Add the lentils and the plant milk. Mix to combine, bring to a low simmer and cover for 15 minutes. It's best to stir and check the lentils 10 minutes in. Just before serving add chopped parsley to the lentils.
Method for Baby Bok Choy
- Depending on the size of the baby bok choy cut it in half or quarters. Season them with sesame oil, salt, cracked black cumin, and ground cardamon. Heat a cast-iron pan over high heat. Cook the bok choy until a deep golden brown, cook on both sides. Place the bok choy on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cook for 10 minutes at 425 degrees.
Method for Spicy Sunflower Seed Crunch
- In a hot pan heat the olive oil, add the grated ginger and garlic. Keep stirring the garlic and ginger it will start to toast, add the sunflower seeds, sliced red onion. Continue to cook for 2 more minutes, all of the ingredients so becoming toasted and steeling very aromatic. Add the crushed red chili flakes and the sliced scallions. Remove from the heat finishing with the sesame oil.
How to time Vegan Cauliflower Steak Recipe to expedite efficiency. READ THIS FIRST. This is easier than you think. Pulling it all together and getting the food on the plate is always the part of cooking that people start to feel a little uncomfortable. So this is the guide to help give you confidence.
- For this recipe, we start with making the Marinade and having that waiting on the cauliflower. Get the cauliflower ready to go in the oven. This means the cauliflower is cut and the marinade is rubbed on the cauliflower all sitting on a baking sheet ready to go. The oven is Preheated and waiting on the cauliflower.
- Make the Red Curry Sauce to the point it's ready to add the red lentils.
- Make the Sunflower Crunch.
- Place the Cauliflower Steaks in the oven. The clock has now started we have 40-50 minutes to tie it together
- Prep and roast the Bok Choy, place the roasted BoK Choy on a baking sheet, waiting to be warmed just before serving.
- With 20 minutes left of cooking on the Cauliflower Steak, add the Red Lentils To the Red Curry Sauce.
- With 5 Minutes of cooking time left on the Cauliflower Steak place the Bok Choy in the oven to heat up.
- Finish the Red Curry Lentils with chopped parsley just before serving.
Serving: 6Ounces | Calories: 386kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 17g | Sodium: 1730mg | Potassium: 734mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 464IU | Vitamin C: 73mg | Calcium: 175mg | Iron: 4mg