Making vegan eggplant parm made with vegan mushroom béchamel sauce is creamy and satisfying. Skip the store-bought vegan cheese, this béchamel sauce is quick, easy, and delicious.
Vegan eggplant parmesan is a delicious and healthy alternative that allows you to enjoy this classic Italian dish without compromising your dietary beliefs. Vegan eggplant parmesan is made using plant-based substitutes, resulting in a dish that is just as flavorful and satisfying as the traditional version.
Shop the Recipe…
The affiliate links above earn us a small commission on the purchase if you use the link. We appreciate your support.
How to Make Vegan Eggplant Parm
Although Vegan Eggplant Parm is great on its own, serving this dish with pasta is traditional. Lemon Roasted Zucchini would be a perfect vegetable side. You can’t go wrong with garlic bread made with Garlic Confit.
Vegan Eggplant Parm
Servings: 6 People
Vegan Eggplant Parm made with vegan mushroom béchamel sauce is creamy and satisfying. Skip the store bought vegan cheese, this béchamel sauce is quick and easy.Print Recipe
Crispy Fried Eggplant
Herb Panko Breadcrumb
Mushroom Bechamel sauce
- 3 cups tomato sauce
How to make crispy fried eggplant
- Combine the plant milk, kosher salt, and the potato starch in a pot cooking over low heat until thick. It should be thick like heavy cream. Place in a bowl to cool. Once cool, if the mixture is too thick, thin with a small amount of plant milk. Set aside.
- Combine the Panko bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, chili flakes, and nutritional yeast in a large bowl. Mix to incorporate all ingredients. Set aside.
- Slice the eggplant into ¼ inch rounds. Place the rounds on a baking sheet, and season both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Place a round of seasoned eggplant in the flour, pressing gently. Coat all sides. Place on a baking sheet, coat all of the eggplant rounds before moving to the next step.
- Place the flour-coated eggplant into the egg replacer. Tap the eggplant on the edge of the bowl and remove excess liquid. You can also use the edge of the bowl to scrape excess liquid off.
- Place the wet eggplant round into the Panko bread crumbs. Firmly press the eggplant into the Panko, coating all sides. Place the coated eggplant back on a baking sheet, and coat all of the eggplant rounds before cooking.
- Heat a large heavy sauté pan over medium-high heat, and add the extra virgin olive oil to the pan. Allow the oil to be very hot before adding the first eggplant round. Start adding the coated eggplant rounds to the hot oil, do not overcrowd the pan. Cook for 6 minutes until a deep golden brown. Flip cooking for another 6 minutes until golden brown. Once cooked place on the baking sheet. Continue cooking the remaining eggplant rounds.
How to make mushroom béchamel sauce.
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil over low heat, add the minced garlic, cooking to a light blond color. Add the flour to the garlic and oil. Cook for 3 minutes, it’s important to cook and stir the whole time.
- Gradually whisk the plant milk into the flour. Add the mushroom powder, nutmeg, and salt.
- Continue to cook over a low simmer for 15 minutes. Stirring frequently.
How to assemble layered eggplant with mushroom béchamel sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Place the crisp eggplant rounds on top of the tomato sauce. The eggplant should cover the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Place a small dollop of mushroom béchamel sauce on top of each eggplant round.
- Add more tomato sauce around the eggplant and some on top of the eggplant.
- Add the remaining eggplant rounds.
- Add the remaining tomatoes add the eggplant and on top of the eggplant.
- Top with the remaining mushroom béchamel sauce over the eggplant.
- Place in the oven cooking for 40 minutes.
- Allow the eggplant to rest for 10 minutes before serving
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 472kcal | Carbohydrates: 77g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 2398mg | Potassium: 1001mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 1299IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 434mg | Iron: 6mg