Introduction to Potato Crusted Eggplant
Potato-crusted eggplant with potato scales served with vegan beurre blanc is a beautiful and delicious dish. The saying goes that “we taste with our eyes first” and I wholeheartedly agree.
Since I went plant-based in 2015, I’ve always been inspired to recreate classic French dishes. I’m excited to re-create Paul Bocuse’s legendary red mullet with potato scales.
I’m making the potato-crusted eggplant vegan, of course. Brined eggplant cooked to perfection with potato “scales” mimics the original look of this classic dish. I also made 2 vegan French-style sauces, a vegan creamy Beurre Blanc sauce, and a mushroom-infused balsamic glaze. These sauces are a fantastic addition to your culinary toolbox.
Shop the Recipe…
The affiliate links above earn us a small commission on the purchase if you use the link. We appreciate your support.
What You Need…
Potato Crusted Eggplant
Servings: 4 People
We're re-creating Paul Bocuse’s fish dish but making it vegan, of course, using a brined eggplant cooked to perfection with potato “scales”. We are also including 2 vegan french style sauces, a traditional cream sauce, and a mushroom-infused balsamic glaze.Print Recipe
Beurre Blanc Sauce
EGGPLANT & POTATO CRUST
- 1 globe eggplant
- 3-4 baby Yukon potato scrubbed and dried
- ¼ cup potato Starch
- Place in a pot and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Cut the eggplant lengthwise into ½ inch slices. Place the eggplant into the brine soaking for 15 minutes. Flip and soak for 15 minutes.
- Remove the eggplant and place it in a tofu press for 5 minutes. After pressing, place on a paper towel.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN BEURRE BLANC SAUCE
- In a non-reactive pot add the shallots, white wine, dry vermouth, orange juice, thyme sprigs, bay leaf, garlic cloves, cashews, and Yukon potato. Simmer over low heat, the liquid should reduce by half. The flavors need to intensify and develop, this only happens when liquids reduce slowly. This should take about 40 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf, and thyme sprigs, place the liquid in a high-speed blender, start to puree on slow for 30 seconds, then increase the speed, we are looking to see how the puree is starting to form, if it’s too thick add ¼ cup plant milk, the sauce needs to be in that goldilocks space of “just right”, not too thick but not thin. Puree until it’s smooth enough and you can not feel particles on your tongue.
- Place the finished sauce in a pan and adjust the salt level to taste. Add a 1 large sprig of rosemary to the sauce and allow the rosemary to steep, the goal here is to add the freshness and brightness of the rosemary in a gentle manner.
BALSAMIC REDUCTION METHOD
- Place 2 cups of balsamic vinegar in a pot, add dried mushrooms, and gently cook for about 20 minutes. The liquid should reduce to about a half cup. Remove the mushrooms scraping off any reduction back into the pot.
- Add salt and black pepper. Set aside to cool
EGGPLANT POTATO CRUST METHOD
- Using a mandolin slice the potatoes thin. Make a stack of sliced potatoes, using a 1” diameter round cutter to make a small disc.
- Lightly dust the eggplant and discs with potato starch.
- Start to place the potato discs in a shingling style on the eggplant, and gently press the potato down into the eggplant.
- Heat a large cast iron pan over medium heat. Add enough grapeseed oil to cover the bottom plus a little extra.
- Gently place the eggplant, and potato side down. Using your hand press the eggplant down to flatten, this will help the potatoes brown evenly.
- You can be as fancy as you’d like here. Place the Cream Sauce on the plate. Place the eggplant onto the plate, add some reduction sauce ( you can use a toothpick to create a feathering style) add the mushrooms and enjoy!
Nutritional values are an estimate only.
Serving: 6Ounces | Calories: 289kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1856mg | Potassium: 877mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 136IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 158mg | Iron: 3mg