Introduction to Carrot Hot Dog
Craving a delicious, plant-based alternative to the traditional hot dog? Look no further than our Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs!
Bursting with flavor and packed with nutrients, this recipe is perfect for vegans, vegetarians, and anyone looking to embrace a healthier lifestyle without compromising on taste.
Whether you’re hosting a barbecue or simply seeking a flavorful meal, these vegan carrot hot dogs will surely impress your taste buds.
Easy to make
You can make these carrot dogs in 3 easy steps.
- Shape the carrot
- Cook – Grill or sauté
Brining the carrot is the key to making the carrot taste more like a hot dog. Toasting the spices for a couple of minutes before adding the liquid is recommended to allow the spices to start releasing their oils.
Make ahead of time
You can make the carrots ahead of time and this is actually preferred. The carrot dogs will take on more flavor and for you, less stress.
Shop the Recipe…
The affiliate links above earn us a small commission on the purchase if you use the link. We appreciate your support.
How to Make a Carrot Hot Dog
Carrot Hot Dog
Servings: 5 servings
Delicious and easy-to-make vegan carrot dog is perfect for your next BBQ or potluck.Print Recipe
- 5 carrots large
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp cup sweet soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp black vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Marmite
- 1 Tbsp mushroom powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- ¼ tsp nutmeg ground
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp pickling spice
- 5 Hot Dog Buns
How to create a carrot hot dog
- Use the peeler to round the edges, and adjust the ends of the carrot to make the carrot hot dog a little more equal in size. If you are not motivated to do this, then all you have to do is peel the carrot and trim the ends.
- I always start at the ticker end of the carrot. Start peeling in a rounded motion to round the end of the carrot. After you have rounded the end, start peeling from the thick end toward the thin end, as you are moving the peeler down the carrot, getting closer to the thinner end, release the pressure. The goal is to remove carrot from the thicker side to try to get the two sides to be kind of equal.
How to brine carrot hot dogs
- Combine all of the brine ingredients in a pot, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil to the pan. Place the carrots in the pan, and cook the carrots until a deep golden brown on all sides.
- Place the carrots in the brine. Cook at a low simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Using a paring knife, gently push the tip into the thickest part of the carrot. If the knife slides into the carrot with just a hint of resistance, the carrot is finished cooking.
- Place the carrots and the brine in a container. Allow to cool, and place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 24 hours.
- How to reheat the carrot hot dogs
- Heat a pan heavy pan over medium-high heat, and add a dash of olive oil to the pan. Gently start to sauté the carrots until hot, the carrots maybe become a little crisp, which is great. Once hot, serve.
- Lightly brush the carrot hot dogs with olive oil. Place the carrot hot dogs on the grill. Place them in a location that is hot but is not too close to a flame. If the flame is too close the oil will burn and char the carrot dog in an unpleasant way. Continue to turn the carrot dogs until hot. Once hot, serve.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly brush the carrot hot dogs with olive oil. Serve when hot.
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 225kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 1473mg | Potassium: 424mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 10413IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 111mg | Iron: 3mg