This Vegan Beet Bourguignon recipe is my take on the French classic. We use beets to create an earthy robust flavor and stew them with a red-wine-based braising liquid. The outcome is a rich and hearty dish that is both satisfying and beautiful on the plate. Serve with Mashed Potatoes.
Shop the Recipe…
The affiliate links above earn us a small commission on the purchase if you use the link. We appreciate your support.
What You Need…
How To Make Beet Bourguignon
How to Make Caramelized Pearl Onions & Carrots
Servings: 6 People
This Beet Bourguignon recipe is my take on the French classic. We use beets to create an earthy robust flavor and stew them with a red wine-based brazing liquid. The outcome is a rich and hearty dish that is both satisfying and beautiful on the plate.Print Recipe
- 1 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- ½ yellow onion medium dice
- 2 carrots large
- 2 celery stalks large dice
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 thyme sprig large
- 1 bay leaf dried
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 Tbsp red miso paste
- ¼ cup flour all-purpose
- ¼ cup plant milk
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 Tbsp black vinegar
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 beets braised in beet brazing liquid
- 2 Tbsp black vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
CARAMELIZED PEARL ONIONS AND CARROTS
THYME ROASTED MUSHROOMS
- 10 button mushrooms
- 10 shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 Tbsp thyme leaves
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- celery and parsley leaves soaked in cold water
HOW TO MAKE BEET BRAISING LIQUID
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to a large heavy sauté pan heating over medium-high heat, and cook the vegetables until a light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the roasted vegetable from the pan, lightly season the beets, and place the beets cut side down, cooking until roasted. Remove the beets from the pan.
- Add the red wine and the miso, and stir to combine. Cook the red wine over high heat for 2 minutes, and add the vegetable broth.
- Combine the flour and the plant milk, and whisk to combine. Add the slurry to the pan, stirring to combine. The sauce will start to thicken very quickly.
- Poultry seasoning, black vinegar, and molasses, stir to incorporate. Add the thyme and bay leaf. Remove from the heat.
- Place the roasted vegetables in an ovenproof dish, and place the seared beets on top of the vegetable. Pour the sauce into the baking dish.
- Place the beets in the oven cooking for 35 minutes.
HOW TO ROAST BEETS
- Remove the beets from the braising liquid.
- Place the beets on a baking rack, with a lined baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Mix the black vinegar and the extra virgin olive oil.
- Baste the beets, place the beets back in the oven, cooking for 30 minutes. Baste the beets another three times over the next 30 minutes.
- The skin of the beets will be lightly chard and crisp. The skins will be very dark, while the beets themselves will be tender.
HOW TO MAKE CARAMELIZED PEAR ONIONS AND CARROTS
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat, and add the extra virgin olive, pearl onions, brown sugar, and sea salt. Stir and shack the pan, and start to lightly caramelize the onions. Cooking for about 1 minute.
- Add 1/4 cup of vegetable broth to the onions. It will steam and splatter so be careful. Continue to stir the onion as the vegetable broth reduces.
- Add another ¼ cup of vegetable broth to the pearl onions. Continue to cook, stirring and reducing the broth. The pearl onions will start to become tender and more caramelized after the broth is reduced.
- If the pearl onions are tender, reduce the heat to medium-low. Continue to cook the. Pearl onions until golden brown color. Adjust the salt and set aside.
- Place the carrots in the pan where the pearl onions were cooked in.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil, cooking until the carrot takes on a little color. Season with sea salt.
- Add the vegetable broth, cooking until the carrots are tender and the liquid is reduced to a glaze. Add the parsley leaves, toss and set aside.
HOW TO MAKE THYME ROASTED MUSHROOMS
- Slice the bottom mushrooms into 3 large slices, and remove the stems from the shiitake mushrooms.
- Heat a heavy cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Place the button mushrooms in the pan dry. Cook the mushrooms for one minute, add the shiitake mushrooms and drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over the top of the mushrooms, season with sea salt, and flip the mushrooms cooking until a deep golden brown. Remove from the heat, and sprinkle the thyme leaves over the mushrooms. Set aside.
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Sodium: 1376mg | Potassium: 435mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 2220IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 2mg