Vegan Creamed Spinach
The thing I love about this Vegan Creamed Spinach recipe is that is high in protein and low in fat but has all of the trademark richness and deep flavor with a hint of spice. This spinach dish is perfect with a 50-Hour Tofu Steak.
How To Make Vegan Creamed Spinach
Servings: 4 People
One of the things I love about this Creamed Spinach recipe is that is high in protein and low in fat but has all of the trademark richness and deep flavor with a hint of spice. This dish is perfect with 50-Hour Tofu Steak.Print Recipe
- 8 cups spinach baby
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups plant milk
- 1 silken tofu
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 cups ice cubes
- 3 cups cold water
How to make Creamed Spinach
- Add the ice cubes to the cold water in a large bowl.
- Bring a medium-sized pot of water to a rolling boil, and add 2 tsp of kosher salt to the pot. Add the baby spinach. Stir and cook the spinach for 1 minute. Drain the spinach. Plunge the cooked spinach into the ice water to stop the cooking.
- Remove the spinach from the ice bath and squeeze as much water out of the spinach as possible.
- Chopped the drained cooked spinach, the spinach needs to be chopped fairly fine. Set aside.
- Heat a pan over medium heat, and add the olive oil, shallots, and garlic along with 2 tsp of kosher salt. Cook the shallot and garlic until a deep golden brown.
- Add the flour to the shallots and garlic, stir to incorporate the flour, cooking for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low.
- Add the plant milk to the shallots and garlic, cooking for 5 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken
- Add the silken tofu, using a handheld immersion blender puree the sauce until smooth.
- Add cayenne pepper, nutmeg, and nutritional yeast. Stir to combine.
- Add the chopped spinach, and heat over low. Keep warm until time to plate.
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 1545mg | Potassium: 495mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 5863IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 199mg | Iron: 3mg