Vegan Breakfast Casserole
Breakfast casserole may seem like a dish that you dump whatever into. Well, this is not that breakfast casserole. This is a stand-alone recipe that will make even your non-vegan eaters so happy. However, you can swap out ingredients and replace them with seasonal or your favorite vegetables.
The Tofu Egg Soufflé is beyond amazing. It just might be the best ever, it has structure, and it’s light, creamy, and luxurious. I love that the tofu egg soufflé puffs up like a traditional soufflé.
The vegan ground beef has a bold flavor and texture. You can adjust the seasoning to create a variety of flavor profiles. You can make it spicy or add some maple syrup creating a breakfast sausage crumble.
What You Need…
How To Make Vegan Breakfast Casserole
Tofu “egg” Soufflé
The full batch is fully intended for a brunch party feeding 6-8 people. This size of breakfast casserole could be perfect for meal prep as well. If you place the breakfast casserole in the refrigerator overnight it makes for easy cutting into portions for meal prep.
The breakfast casserole only gets better with time as the flavors develop and mature.
I found the breakfast casserole was delicious cold, I was really surprised at how much flavor and how much I enjoyed it with a nice big salad.
Vegan Breakfast Casserole
Servings: 8 people
This is a stand-alone recipe, that will make even your non-vegan eaters so very happy. The truth is you can swap out ingredients and replace them with seasonal or your favorite vegetables. The Tofu Egg Soufflé is beyond amazing. It just might be the best ever, it has structure, and it's light, creamy, and luxurious. I love that the tofu egg soufflé puffs up just like a traditional soufflé.Print Recipe
Potato Hash Browns
- 2-4 Yukon potatoes grated
- 1 tsp salt kosher
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic granulated
Tofu Egg Souffle
- 2 silken tofu soft
- 2 Tbsp potato starch
- 2 Tbsp garbanzo bean powder
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ cup cashew peices blanched and soaked
- ½ tsp Kala namak black sea salt
- 2 ½ cups plant milk
- 2 tsp salt kosher
- 1 bell pepper red, diced small
- ½ cup scallions sliced thinly
Breakfast Casserole Filling
- ½ cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cup Vegan Ground Beef
- 4 oz green chili diced and drained
How to make the Potato Hash Browns
- Grate the Yukon potatoes using a box grater. Season the potatoes with kosher salt, and mix to combine the salt. The salt is going to help pull water from the potatoes. This will lead to a crispy well-seasoned potato hash brown.
- Use your hands to squeeze the grated potatoes, removing excess water.
- Heat a non-stick over medium heat, and add a generous lug of extra virgin olive oil.
- Evenly spread the grated potatoes in the hot pan. I am using the potato hash browns as a crust to the breakfast casserole. Finish the potatoes with a dusting of chili powder and granulated garlic.
- Cook the potatoes for 8-10 minutes over medium heat, the potatoes should use be starting to turn brown.
- Finish cooking the potatoes in a preheated oven set at 375 degrees. Cook the potatoes for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven.
How to make Tofu Egg Base
- If you are making a full batch of tofu egg base you will need to puree half of the recipe at a time. Also, make this while the potaotes are cooking.
- Using a high-speed blender puree, soft silken tofu, nutritional yeast, garbanzo bean powder, potato starch, Kala namak, (black sea salt), cashews blanched and soaked, and plant milk. Puree until the tofu egg base is silky smooth. Pour the tofu egg base into a large bowl.
- Add the diced red bell pepper and the thinly sliced scallion, and stir to combine. Adjust the salt levels, ensuring it is well seasoned.
- Set aside
How to build a breakfast casserole
- Spread the vegan ground beef evenly over the potato hash browns, next sprinkle the black bean and green chilies.
- Pour the tofu egg base over the filling. Gently smooth the top of the tofu egg base. Place in the oven cooking for 35-40 minutes.
- The edges should be firm and starting to turn a light brown. The center of the breakfast casserole should feel firm and set when gently pressing down on it.
- Allow the breakfast casserole to rest for 10-12 minutes before cutting.
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 187kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 965mg | Potassium: 431mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 758IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 127mg | Iron: 2mg