Introduction to Tofu Birria Sandwich
Welcome to a tantalizing fusion of flavors where traditional Mexican birria meets the versatility of tofu! In this culinary journey, we present the Tofu Birria Sandwich — a delectable vegan creation that will entice both meat lovers and plant-based enthusiasts alike. This recipe offers a harmonious blend of rich, smoky, and spicy notes, all layered between slices of crusty bread.
Birria, hailing from the state of Jalisco in Mexico, traditionally consists of tender meat slowly simmered in aromatic spices and a tantalizing chili-based sauce. Our innovative twist replaces the meat with tofu, a plant-based protein that readily absorbs flavors while maintaining a satisfying texture. This reinvented version of birria showcases the culinary ingenuity of combining traditional techniques with modern dietary preferences.
To begin, we marinate the tofu in a medley of peppers and spices, including paprika, cumin, oregano, and garlic, allowing it to soak up the vibrant flavors. The next step involves slow-cooking the tofu in a robust, chili-infused broth until it becomes succulent and tender, mirroring the traditional meat birria’s essence. The result is an irresistible mixture of spices that infuses every bite, enveloping the taste buds in a symphony of savory delight.
Assembling the Tofu Birria Sandwich is an art in itself. We recommend choosing crusty sourdough bread with a sturdy crust that can withstand the generous filling. The tofu birria is layered onto the bread, accompanied by onions and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro combined with dairy-free melty cheese, creating a sublime contrast to the spicy and savory components.
Whether you’re a vegan, vegetarian, or simply curious about exploring new culinary horizons, the Tofu Birria Sandwich invites you to savor a symphony of flavors. Embrace the smoky and spicy aromas, revel in the tender tofu, and relish the explosion of tastes that this fusion masterpiece delivers. Get ready to transform your sandwich game and tantalize your taste buds with this creative and mouthwatering delight!
Shop the Recipe…
What You Need…
How to Make a Tofu Birria Sandwich
Tofu Birria Sandwich
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- 14 oz tofu firm, pressed
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 3-4 guajillo peppers stems, and seeds removed d
- 1 pasilla pepper stem, and seeds removed
- 3 roma tomatoes cut in half.
- ½ yellow onion sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 4-5 Mexican avocado leaves dried
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon ground
- 3 cloves whole
- ½ tsp salt kosher
- ¾ cup water or vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 Tbsp butter vegan room temp
- 2 Tbsp birria sauce
- ¼ tsp salt kosher
For the Sandwich
- chopped yellow onions and cilantro (optional)
- 6 oz shredder vegan mozzarella cheese
How to make tofu Birria
- Using a tofu press slowly increase the pressure for 30-45 minutes. Make sure the tofu does not crack. You want to remove as much water as possible.
- Heat a large pot over high heat. Add the EVOO.
- Add the peppers, and keep moving the peppers toasting all sides of the pepper. Remove the peppers from the pan.
- Add the sliced onions and garlic. Toast the onions and garlic.
- Place the tomatoes skin side down, and char the tomatoes slightly.
- Add the peppers, oregano, cumin, cloves, avocado leaves, and cinnamon. Cook for 1 minute to toast the spices.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and water. Stir to combine.
- Cover the sauce, cooking for 20 minutes over low heat, the peppers should be tender and the tomatoes soft and wilted.
- Puree the liquid in a high-speed blender.
- Place the pureed sauce in a large pot. Heat the sauce over low heat, adjust the salt levels. The salt needs to the upper limits of seasoned.
- Cut the tofu into 3rds.
- Place the tofu into the sauce, and slowly cook the tofu for 30-40 minutes. Rotate the tofu every 10 minutes. Cooking on all sides.
- Remove the tofu from the sauce. If you have time allow the sauce and tofu to cool, and combine. Place the tofu and sauce in the refrigerator over or longer.
How to make Birria Butter
- Combine the vegan butter and cooled Birria sauce.
- Adjust salt.
- Set aside
Building Tofu Birria Sandwich
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice the tofu lengthwise.
- Lightly grease parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Place the tofu on the tray, and spoon enough Birria sauce totally cover the tofu.
- Cook for 10 minutes. The sauce should be thick and lightly charred.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-low heat.
- Spread a generous layer of the barrio butter on the sourdough bread.
- Place the butter side down in the pan. The key to this step is to cook the bread slowly, the Birria sauce in the butter needs time to evaporate and make it crispy on the outside. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegan shredded mozzarella cheese to both slices of bread. Cover the bread with a lid. This will melt the cheese while the bread continues to crisp.
- Remove the bread from the pan, and spoon some of the Birria sauce on top of the melted cheese.
- Layer the tofu, add a little more sauce on top of the tofu, and top with the chopped onions and cilantro.