I love a good Crispy Potato Rosti fresh from the oven. Not to be mistaken for the traditional American hash brown, these are more like a shredded potato cake. Crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside.
The Potato Rosti's origin is Swiss but its popularity grew throughout Europe and you see many versions of this in most countries today. You can easily add your favorite herbs and spices to suit your palette.
Shop the Recipe...
WHAT YOU NEED...
Potatoes: Yellow potatoes are the desired choice for this dish, these are less watery and more waxy which creates a creamy finish to the dish.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: If you want a crispy potato rosti, you will have to use oil. It's what make it golden brown.
Thyme leaves: fresh thyme leaves are added to bring a subtle automatic to the potatoes.
Salt: don't forget to salt the potatoes.
How To Make Crispy Potato Rosti
Grate the potatoes and place on a clean dry kitchen towel.
Wrap the towel around the shredded potatoes and squeeze as much liquid out as you can.
Pack the shredded potatoes into the pan. Cook on the stovetop for 5 minutes then place into the oven for 20-35 minutes. You will flip the potato rosti and cook for another 20-25 minutes.
Place on drain rack. Serve warm.
You can shred the potatoes by hand or use a food processor.
Be patient, Potato Rosti takes some time to cook, these are worth the wait.
Add more oil if you don't see the oil bubbling around the edges.
Place you pan on a baking sheet to prevent oil from dripping in the oven.
Crispy Potato Rosti
Servings: 2 People
Creamy White Beans are the perfect accompaniment to this Creamy Tofu Scramble and Potato Rosti breakfast.Print Recipe
Crispy Potato Rosti
- 4-5 potatoes yellow, scrubbed clean
- ¼ cup olive virgin extra virgin
- 1 Tbsp thyme leaves fresh
- ½ tsp salt kosher
How to Make Crispy Potato Rosti
- Preheat heat to 450 degrees.
- Shred the potatoes with a box grater or Kitchen Aid food processor.
- Season the shredded potatoes with kosher salt and thyme leaves, and mix to combine.
- Place the potatoes in a kitchen towel. Twist the top of the towel to apply pressure, the potatoes will start releasing liquid. Try to remove as much water as possible.
- Heat the cast iron pan over medium heat. Add half of the oil to the pan. Gently place the potatoes in the pan, and gently press the potatoes down. The oil should be bubbling along the edges of the potatoes.
- Cook the potatoes on top of the stove for 5 minutes.
- Place the cast iron pan on a baking sheet, the oil can bubble over the edge while cooking in the oven.
- Check the potatoes after cooking for 20 minutes, there needs to be oil bubbling up along the edge, if the potato is dry add the remaining oil.
- After cooking for 35 minutes, gently flip the crispy potato rosti. Continue to cook for another 25 minutes.
- The Rosti needs to be a deep golden brown in color on both sides.
- Remove the rosti from the pan, and place it on a drain rack.
- Cut the rosti in half, and serve hot.
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 570kcal | Carbohydrates: 75g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 20g | Sodium: 608mg | Potassium: 1815mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 175IU | Vitamin C: 90mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 4mg