Introduction to Crispy Oyster Mushroom Piccata
As someone who loves experimenting in the kitchen, I’m always on the lookout for ways to make classic recipes even better. Recently, I’ve been playing around with a recipe for crispy oyster mushroom piccata, and I think you’ll love it!
I start with the sauce which is a bit backwards with regard to traditional piccata. I start by sautéing some shallots and garlic in olive oil until they’re softened and fragrant. Then, I add in some vegetable broth, and capers, and let the sauce simmer for a few minutes to allow the flavors to meld together. I finish the sauce off by whisking in some butter and lemon juice, which gives it a rich, tangy flavor that perfectly complements the crispy oyster mushrooms.
Next, let’s talk about the star ingredient: oyster mushrooms. These meaty, flavorful mushrooms are the perfect substitute for traditional piccata recipes. They have a similar texture and absorb flavors just as well as their meaty counterparts. Plus, they’re a great option for vegetarians and vegans looking to enjoy this classic Italian dish.
To serve, I like to spoon the piccata sauce onto the plate then add the crispy oyster mushrooms and sprinkle some fresh parsley on top for a pop of color and freshness. This dish is delicious on its own, but it’s also great served with a side of pasta or roasted vegetables.
Overall, this crispy oyster mushroom piccata recipe is a winner in my book. It’s flavorful, satisfying, and a great way to enjoy the classic Italian dish without the meat.
Shop the Recipe…
What You Need…
How to Make Crispy Oyster Mushroom Piccata
Crispy Oyster Mushroom Piccata
How to Make Piccata Sauce
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium-low heat, once hot add the parsley leaves.
- Fry the leaves until bright green and they become crispy. Place on a paper towel to cool.
- Place the lemon slices in the same pan with the heat remaining over medium-low. Cook the slices until they start to brown on the edges. Remove 3-4 slices; place on a paper towel.
- Add the sliced shallots and garlic, salting until tender.
- The capers are added next, cooking until warm.
- Add the vegetable stock, increase the heat to medium, and reduce the sauce; a touch reinforcing the flavors.
- Finish the sauce with chopped parsley.
How to make Egg Replacer
- Combine all of the ingredients, and whisk until smooth.
How to Make Flour Dredge
- Place all of the ingredients in a bowl, and stir to combine.
How to make Crispy Oyster Mushrooms
- Heat the extra virgin love oil over medium heat.
- First, gently coat the oyster mushroom with the egg relaxer. Making sure to coat the gills of the mushrooms.
- Place the coated oyster mushroom in the flour mixture, using your hand to sprinkle flour on top, and gently press the flour into the mushroom. This will take more than one coating to fully cover the mushroom.
- Place the coated oyster mushroom in the hot oil. Cooking until very crispy and a deep golden brown, cooking the other side until it matches the first side.
- Place the crispy mushroom on a drain rack, and season with kosher salt.
- This is a perfect shared entree dish.
- Place the sauce on the bottom of the platter, and place the crispy oyster mushrooms on top of the sauce. Garnish with fried parsley and lemon slices.