Vegan Hearts of Palm “Lobster” recipes are seemingly only made for a vegan lobster rolls and I thought about doing that as well. But as you can see, that didn't happen.
Lobster and beets are a classic combination. I have been wanting to make a lobster-inspired dish for some time. Hearts of palm is the perfect ingredient, the color, texture, and shape. All we need to do is poach the hearts of palm with beets and flavor the liquid. The contrast in color, a red exterior with the white interior, slicing on the bias, and you have a gorgeous lobster-inspired dish.
The beet-poached hearts of palm needs a punch of color and fat. Enter the spice of jalapeño and puréed with scallions and cashews to make a sauce that is both spicy and a beautiful green color. The contrast is perfectly paired with the amaranth micro greens(or in this case pink).
WHAT YOU NEED...
Beets: are used both as part of the dish and as the coloring to make the hearts of palm it's reddish color.
Hearts of palm: can be found in cans in most stores these days. Their natural flavor can be compared to asparagus or artichoke hearts.
Scallion: are used to flavor the sauce as well as the bottom end as part of the finished dish.
Jalapeño pepper: remove the seeds from the jalapeño and i won't be as spicy. Since we're using just 1/2 a pepper in the sauce, the spiciness is still mild.
Gingers: brings it's own bit of spice and amazing flavor especially after being candied. We sliced ours with a mandolin slicer. Be very careful when using this, I and many others I know have cut themselves using one.
How To Make Hearts of Palm "Lobster"
Slice the beet into 1/2 inch dice. Thinly slice the ginger.
Add the ginger, diced beets and hearts of palm to the poaching liquid.
Cook for 30 minutes then remove from poaching liquid.
How to Make Candied Ginger
Using the poached ginger, cook for 30 minutes and liquid reduces by half.
How to Make Jalapeño Scallion Cream
Add the cooked fettuccine noodles to an oiled skillet and add the Alfredo Sauce. Stir to emulsify.
Working with beets can be challenging. Using gloves to avoid getting your hand stained is recommended.
If using a mandolin slicer, use a guard or glove to protect your fingers.
If you can't find amaranth micro greens, you can substitute with nearly any type of micro green. You could also garnish with some edible flowers for a pop of color.
Heart of Palm "Lobster"
Servings: 4 as a starter
Lobster and beets are a classic combination. I have been wanting to make a lobster-inspired dish for some time. Hearts of palm is the perfect ingredient, the color, texture, and shape. All we need to do is poach the hearts of palm with beets and flavor the liquid. The contrast in color, a red exterior with the white interior, slicing on the bias, and you have a gorgeous lobster-inspired dish.Print Recipe
Hearts Of Palm
Beet Candied Ginger
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup beet poaching liquid
- ⅓ cup ginger root sliced, cooked in the beet poaching liquid
Spicy Scallion Cream Sauce
How to Finish the Dish.
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- ⅓ cup scallion the white part, cut on the bias
- Amaranth Mico Greens
How to Make Beet Poached Heart of Palm
- Heat the water over medium heat.
- Add the Five spice, salt, brown sugar, kelp granules, red wine vinegar, rice wine vinegar, and soy sauce. Gently heat to dissolve the kosher salt and the brown sugar.
- Drain the heart of palms.
- Add the diced beets and the sliced ginger to the poaching liquid, cooking over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the heart of palm to the poaching liquid. Cook for 30 minutes of very low heat. The beets should be tender and the heart of the palm should be a wonderful red color.
- Remove the heart of palm, ginger, and beets and set them aside.
How To Make Beet Candied Ginger
- Combine the brown sugar and beet poaching liquid.
- Add the beet poached ginger.
- Cook over low heat for 25 minutes, the poaching liquid should become thick and sweet.
- Once the inner is tender remove the heat and allow it to cool. Set aside
How to Make Spice Scallion Sauce
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil and the sliced jalapeño, cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sliced green scallions, cooking for 1 minute.
- Add the cashews, silken tofu, cooked jalapeño, and scallion in a high-speed blender.
- Season with kosher salt and rice wine vinegar.
- Puree until smooth.
- Place in the refrigerator until cold.
How to Finish the Dish
- Heat a large cast iron pan over medium heat.
- Add 2Tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the poached heart of palm, diced poached beets, the white part of the scallions, and the thyme to the pan.
- As your cooking, the heart of the palm start basting with EVOO.
- Make sure to rotate the heart of palm, roasting on all sides.
- Cook for around 10 minutes, the heart of palm should be lightly roasted, the scallions soul die right roasted and the beets should be hot and tender.
How to Plate
- Start with spreading the spicy scallion sauce across the plate. Spoon the beets in the middle of the sauce. Place the roasted scallion on top of the beets. Cut the heart of palm into three pieces on the bias. Place the heart of palm on top of the scallion, Place candied ginger on top of each of the heart of palm. Place a row of the Amaranth next to the spicy scallion sauce.
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 1549mg | Potassium: 2301mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 42g | Vitamin A: 271IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 4mg