Savory Mushroom French Toast unites the combination of roasted mushrooms with bread soaked in corn juice cooked until crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. The corn custard sauce is sweet and bright, the truffle roasted corn brings texture and perfume notes to the dish.
WHAT YOU NEED...
Rustic Bread: we used an Italian rustic loaf but any good bread you like would work.
Corn: You will need to cut the corn from the cob to make the sauce. If you use frozen it will not work as most frozen corn has been pasteurized (aka cooked/heated) and the starches will not activate.
Mushrooms: This recipe used a clam shell cluster but you could use any type of mushroom you like or have on hand.
Truffle oil: adding the truffle oil to the roasted corn give this dish another level of elegance and flavor that elevates this dish into the stratosphere.
How To Make Corn Custard Toast
Slice the Bread into 3/4 inch slices. You want this to be fairly thick. Using a cutter, punch out discs.
Fresh corn from the cob is essential in order to activate the natural corn starch to thicken into a sauce.
Use the uncooked corn juice to coat the bread. Don't dunk the bread into the corn juice as the bread with become too wet and result in soggy french toast.
Cook the corn soaked bread until golden brown on both sides.
How to Make Corn Custard Sauce
Corn custard ingredients get cooked until it starts to bubble and thicken.
How to Make Truffle Roasted Corn
Using a hot pan, roasted the corn, thyme and black truffle oil until hot.
How to Roasted Clam Shell Mushroom Clusters
In a hot cast iron pan, roast the clam shell mushroom cluster on both sides. You will need to press the mushroom into the pan using some tongs or spatula.
Sprinkle the roasted clam shell mushroom cluster with chives.
Using fresh corn is essential for the corn to thick into a sauce.
If you can't find Clam Shell Mushrooms, you could use any mushroom you like and roast them as instructed.
Truffle oil elevates this dish so don't skip it. White or black is fine.
Mushroom French Toast
Servings: 4 People
Savory Mushroom French Toast unites the combination of roasted mushrooms with bread soaked in corn juice cooked until crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. The corn custard sauce is sweet and bright, the truffle roasted corn brings texture and perfume notes to the dish.Print Recipe
Corn Custard Toast
Roasted Corn with Black Truffle and Thyme
Roasted Clamshell Mushroom Cluster
- 1-2 clamshell cluster
- 1 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp chive fresh chopped finely
- Sliced Easter radishes
- Chive tips
How to Make Corn Custard Toast
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Remove the corn from the cobs. Use the corn cobs to make vegetable stock.
- Place 2 cups of corn kernels, plant milk, and salt in a high-speed blender. Puree until all of the kernels are completely smooth. This takes about 1 minute longer than you might think.
- Set aside in the refrigerator.
- The slice of bread should be about ¾ of an inch thick. Using a round cutter make a perfect disc of bread.
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of corn puree onto a plate. Place the bread in the corn pure, gently press down, and spoon more corn puree on top. Allow the corn puree to soak into the bread for 5 minutes.
- Heat a heavy cast iron pan over medium heat, and add the extra virgin olive oil. Place the corn-soaked bread in the pan, and continue to cook for 3 minutes on top of the stove. Place the pan in the oven, cook for 10 minutes, flip the corn savory toast, and cook for an additional 8 minutes.
How to Make Corn Custard Sauce
- Heat the corn juice and the thyme sprigs in a pot over medium heat, make sure to stir and scrap the bottom of the pan, the sugars easily burn.
- Continue to cook until the sauce is very thick.
- Season with kosher salt and red wine vinegar.
- Set aside.
How to make Roasted Corn with Black Truffle and Thyme
- Heat a heavy cast iron pan over high heat.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to the pan, and allow the oil to become hot, almost smoking.
- Cook the corn kernels for 3-4 minutes, when you first add the corn allow the corn to roast without disturbing the corn. The corn with start to caramelize. After 1-2 minutes stir the corn, and season with the salt and the thyme leaves. Stir, continuing to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the corn from the heat, and stir the trouble into the corn.
- Set aside
How to make Roasted Clamshell Mushrooms
- Carefully trim a very small amount of the stem just enough to remove any dirt. Do not cut s much that the clamshell cluster falls apart.
- Heat a heavy cast iron pan over very high heat.
- Place the clamshell cluster in the pan, gently press down on the cluster, cooking for 2 minutes.
- Flip the cluster, gently pressing, and drizzle extra virgin oil over the clamshell cluster. Continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Remove the mushroom cluster from the pan.
- Sprinkle the chopped chive over both sides of the clamshell mushroom cluster.
Plating Mushroom Toast
- Gently heat the corn custard toasted clamshell cluster in a saute pan.
- Reheat the corn custard sauce.
- Place 5 small piles of truffle roasted corn around the plate.
- Place a slice of easter radish on top of each corn pile, topped with a chive tip.
- Pour a small portion of corn custard sauce into the middle of the plate.
- Place the corn toast on top of the corn custard sauce.
- Gently place the clamshell mushrooms on top of the corn toast.
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 519kcal | Carbohydrates: 113g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 1302mg | Potassium: 566mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 302IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 5mg