Can you believe that I am using cauliflower as a vegan replacement for Parmesan cheese, cauliflower is the star of this easy Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce recipe? Cauliflower is not the only ingredient that I am leaning heavily on in this recipe, cooking the onions slowly with a heavy pour of extra virgin olive oil, button mushrooms, and herbs all round out the recipe. Cooking the cauliflower completely changes the flavor profile, with sweet notes and a hint of bitterness, the earthy complexity prompts a very similar flavor to Parmesan cheese.
It is rare to combine both ease of making and huge flavor, most of the time you have to make a sacrifice in one of the two areas. This vegan Alfredo sauce is almost done as fast as it takes to cook the pasta. Which makes this dish a perfect weeknight meal.
The ingredients are something that you will most likely have on hand which is always a plus.
Shop the Recipe...
WHAT YOU NEED...
Cauliflower: is the anchor to this Vegan Alfredo pasta sauce. The cauliflower has multiple functions. Cauliflower will add texture and thickness, more importantly, it provides a complex flavor delivering a creamy sauce with cheesy qualities.
Button Mushrooms: are a classic mushroom that is often overlooked when creating a dish. Button mushrooms are at (nearly) every grocery store, and they pack an umami punch. By adding the mushrooms directly to the sauce we add flavor and maintain a pale color to the sauce.
Yellow Onions: are yet another ingredient that you most likely have in your refrigerator. Yellow onions are a magical ingredient, cooking the onions slowly with extra virgin olive oil and kosher salt brings out sweetness and richness.
Nutritional Yeast: brings a cheesy note with hints of umami. It is one of those ingredients that if you overdo it can add a layer of bitterness, so steady on.
Dried Fettuccini noodles: bring texture and the ability to finish the sauce with the noodles in the pan.
How To Make Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce
Alfredo Sauce ingredients before and after processing.
Take your time cooking the onions until translucent. Then add the chopped cauliflower.
Gently cook the mushrooms and then add the rest of the sauce ingredients, cooking for 15 minutes.
Blend the sauce until smooth and luxurious.
How to Make Zucchini Rolls
Thinly sliced zucchini into 1/8 thickness and season with salt, basil & chili flakes.
Sauté for 20 seconds then roll.
Finishing Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo
Add the cooked fettuccine noodles to an oiled skillet and add the Alfredo Sauce. Stir to emulsify.
The number one tip for making this vegan Alfredo sauce is taking your time in the first step of cooking the onions, once that step is done you can move right along with the cooking.
Seasoning the pasta water with salt is very important. The truth of the matter is it is true, this is the ONLY opportunity to fully season the pasta.
Don’t forget to save 1 cup of the pasta cooking water. The pasta water is full of starch and flavor.
Chopping basil seems like an easy task, however, there is always a better technique. The key to maintaining the color is to not bruise the basil. Start with stacking the basil and then cutting it into a julienne cut, then dicing the julienne strips.
Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo
Servings: 4 People
It is rare to combine both ease of making and huge flavor, most of the time you have to make a sacrifice in one of the two areas. This vegan Alfredo sauce is almost done as fast as it takes to cook the pasta. Which makes this dish a perfect weeknight meal. The ingredients are items that you will, most likely, have on hand which is always a plus.Print Recipe
Roasted yellow squash rolls
How to make vegan Alfredo pasta sauce
- Heat a sauté pan over low heat add the extra virgin olive oil and the sliced yellow onion season with kosher salt. Cook the onions over low heat for 8 minutes.
- Add the sliced cauliflower, continue to cook over low heat for 2 minutes, and add a moderate drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- The sliced button mushrooms go in next, cooking gently for 2 minutes.
- Add the plant milk, the bay leaf, and thyme. Increase the heat to medium cooking for 15 minutes, the cauliflower should be falling apart and very tender.
- Remove the herbs from the sauce, and add the nutritional heat.
- Puree until very smooth.
- Set aside, keeping warm.
How to make roasted yellow squash rolls
- Slice the yellow squash about 1/8 of an inch thick length-wise.
- Season the sliced squash with salt, basil, and red chili flakes, and firmly press the herbs into the squash.
- Place the squash in a hot dry pan, cook for 20 seconds, and flip the squash cooking for another 20 seconds.
- Remove the squash from the pan and roll, set aside until time to plate.
How to cook fettuccine noodles
- Bring the water to a rapid boil, and add the salt.
- Add the pasta to the water, and stir for the first minute this will prevent the noodles from sticking to the pan or the other noodles.
- Cooking the fettuccine for 6-8 minutes will lead to a perfect al dente.
- Save 1 cup of pasta cooking liquid.
How to finish the vegan Alfredo pasta
- Place the noodles directly into a sauté pan preheated over medium heat.
- Add a dash of extra virgin olive oil to the noodles and about 1/2 cup of pasta cooking liquid.
- Start to stir and agitate the noodles, this will start to emulsify the extra virgin olive oil and the pasta water.
- Add about 10-ounce of vegan alfredo sauce to the noodles, reduce the heat to medium-low, and continue to stir the noodles for another minute.
- The sauce should just be thick enough to coat the noodles, but not so thick that it is overly goopy. If the sauce becomes too thick adjust with a little of the pasta water.
- Pace the noodles in the middle of the plate, garnish with the squash rolls and add a drizzle of extra alfredo sauce around the plate.
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 353kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 7483mg | Potassium: 730mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 385IU | Vitamin C: 48mg | Calcium: 206mg | Iron: 2mg