Vegan Clam Chowder is creamy, rich and satisfying. The other amazing traits that this soup brings is a freshness that you can only get with the hearts of palm as the star of this dish.
WHAT YOU NEED...
Hearts of palm: can be found in cans in most stores these days. Their natural flavor can be compared to asparagus or artichoke hearts.
Onions: are a must to create the aromatic, full flavored roundness that they bring to this chowder.
Celery: bring a mild herbal note to the dish.
Garlic: is another aromatic that adds to the roundness and give us a slight sulphuric note.
Potatoes: We used Yukon potatoes for this chowder. They bring a nice starchiness to the chowder and homey feel.
Kelp Granules: bring a saltiness without adding sodium plus that umami notes to replace the clam flavor.
Kombu Sheet: may seem redundant since we are adding the kelp granules but the flavors are very different. The kombu give a huge punch of brine.
How To Make Vegan Clam Chowder
All of the ingredients for vegan clam chowder.
Sauté the onion, celery, potatoes & garlic until translucent.
Next, add the vermouth, white wine, bay leaf, thyme, kombu, plant milk, and slurry.
Cook for about 30 minutes. Remove half of the potato, onion and celery then pureé
Slice the hearts of palm. Add to the chowder. Then add the potato, celery, and onion back to the celery. Stir in the parsley.
How to make a Sourdough Bread Bowl
Start by slicing the top off of the sourdough bowl. Remove the inside of the roll.
Coat the roll with olive oil and bake until golden brown.
Chop the potato, onion and celery into similar sized dice.
Don't be shy with the cashew cream, it adds a need creaminess needed for New England style chowder.
Vegan Clam Chowder
Servings: 4 people
Vegan Clam Chowder is creamy, rich, and satisfying. The other amazing trait that this soup brings is a freshness that you can only get with the hearts of palm as the star of this dish.Print Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow potato large, small dice
- 1 cup celery small dice
- 1 cup onion small dice
- 2 Tbsp garlic sliced
- pinch salt to taste
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaf
- ½ cup dry vermouth
- ½ cup white wine or veg stock
- 3 cups plant milk
- 1 tsp yellow miso
- ½ tsp kelp granules
- 1 sheet kombu
- 3 sprigs thyme
- ¼ cup cashew cream see recipe
- 8 oz. hearts of palm cup into rounds
- sourdough bread rolls optional for Bowl
- Warm a large pot on medium heat. Sauté potato, celery, carrot, onion, and garlic until soft and translucent. Add dry vermouth, white wine, vegetable stock, bay leaf, plant milk, kelp granules & kombu sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and ½ cup plant milk, and stir until combined to make a slurry. Add to the pot slowly while stirring. Increase heat to medium, and stir occasionally until it thickens. Add salt to taste. Cook for 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Remove the kombu sheet, thyme sprigs, and bay leaves. Using a spider strainer, remove half of the potato, celery, and onion mixture and set aside.
- Puree until smooth.
- Add cashew cream and whisk to combine. Add the potato, celery, and onion mixture back in.
- Add hearts of palm. Continue to cook for 5 more minutes or until the hearts of palm are warm.
- To serve in a Sourdough Bread Bowl, cut the top off a medium sized Sourdough roll, remove the bread on the inside, toast in oven with “lid” & Excess bread on the side.
- Spoon in Chowder and enjoy!
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 477kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Sodium: 667mg | Potassium: 1646mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 840IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 359mg | Iron: 5mg