Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff with Crispy Polenta is a dinner that is perfect for a mid-week family dinner. It looks fancy and tastes like you’re eating dinner out, but it's easier than you could ever have imagined. The combination of using a pre-made Polenta, roasted mushrooms, a cream sauce that’s full of flavor and simple to make. In this recipe we will walk you through all of the steps to create an amazing dinner.
Shop the Recipe...
Garlic Confit ingredients are very simple. Remove the stem so to create a nice soft bite.
Garlic Confit - before
Garlic Confit - after
How to Make Vegan Stroganoff Sauce
Red Onion, Garlic & Button Mushrooms
Sauté Onions and Garlic
Cooking Stroganoff Sauce
Finished Stroganoff Sauce
How to Roast Mushrooms for Vegan Stroganoff
Portobello with Gills Removed to avoid bitterness.
Cut Portobellos in pan
Roasted Portobellos with Thyme
Button Mushrooms stems removed
Scored Button Mushroom
Start roasting with cap side down.
Roasted button mushrooms are golden brown.
Roasted Portobello Mushrooms and Button Mushrooms
How Make Lemon Broccolini for Vegan Stroganoff
Finished Lemon Broccolini
How to Make Easy Crispy Polenta Discs
Cutting the Polenta
Sautéing the Polenta
Assembling the Vegan Stroganoff can be as straight forward or as fancy as you'd like. We like to make everything look nice so here's how we'd recommend plating:
Place a large spoonful of Stroganoff sauce in the middle of the plate.
Place the chard broccolini in the sauce.
The crispy polenta rounds go on top of the broccolini, garnish with the roasted mushrooms and the garlic confit.
Mushroom Stroganoff with Crispy Polenta
Servings: 4 People
Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff with Polenta is a dinner that’s perfect for mid-week. It looks fancy and tastes like you’re eating dinner out, but it's easier than you could ever have imagined. The combination of using a pre-made Polenta, roasted mushrooms, and a cream sauce that’s full of flavor and simple to make. In this recipe we will walk you through all of the steps to create an amazing dinner.Print Recipe
Mushroom Stroganoff Sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup red onion sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves sliced thinly
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 8 oz button mushrooms rough chopped
- 1 Tbsp miso paste yellow
- 1 Tbsp black vinegar (or rice wine vinegar)
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Marmite
- 1 tsp mushroom powder
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup cashew pieces
- 1 cup plant milk
Chard Lemon Broccolini
How to Make Garlic Confit
- In a pot over low heat combine the olive oil, garlic, bay leaf, and thyme sprigs. Cook for 30-35 minutes. The garlic should be light golden brown, and very tender it should smash easily when pressed.
- Remove the thyme and bay leaf, and set aside until time to plate.
How to Make Vegan Stroganoff Sauce
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and season with kosher salt. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the pot, and continue cooking over medium heat for another 2 minutes, until the mushrooms are light golden brown.
- Add the miso paste, and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the black vinegar, red wine vinegar, and the Marmite. Stir to combine.
- Add the mushroom powder, poultry seasoning, cashew pieces, vegetable broth, and plant milk. Cook the mushroom stroganoff sauce over a low simmer for 35 minutes. The goal is to cook the cashews until tender without reducing the liquid too much. This allows the flavors to develop.
- Puree the sauce in a blender until very smooth. Pour the pureed sauce back into a clean pot, and adjust the salt and the consistency with plant milk. Set aside.
How make Perfect Roasted Mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the stems of the portabello mushrooms, using a spoon gently scrape the gills out of the bottom of the mushrooms. Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Heat a heavy pan over high heat. Drizzle 1 Tbsp of oil into the pan, and add the portabello mushrooms to the pan, bottom facing up. Season with kosher salt, and extra virgin olive oil on top of the mushrooms. Top with thyme sprigs.
- Place the portabello mushrooms in the oven cooking for 6 minutes. Flip the portabello mushrooms, placing the thyme sprigs back on top. Cook for another 6 minutes. Place the cooked portabello mushrooms on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Remove the stems of the button mushrooms. Using a pairing knife gently score the tops of the button mushrooms creating a diamond shape.
- Heat a heavy pan over high heat. Place 9 button mushrooms scored side down in a dry pan, use another pan to gently press down on the mushrooms. Leave the pan on top of the mushrooms, and turn the vent fan on because the mushrooms will start to smoke. Cook for 2 minutes, flip the button mushrooms and put the pan back on top cooking for 2 minutes. Move the roasted button mushrooms to the outside of the pan. Place the remaining mushrooms in the middle of the pan, scored side down. Place the pan on top of the mushrooms gently pressing down. Cook for 2 minutes, flip and repeat cooking for 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the extra virgin olive oil, and the thyme leaves, and season with kosher salt. Place the cooked button mushrooms on the baking sheet with portabello mushrooms.
How to make charred lemon broccolini
- Split the larger broccolini stems in half.
- Heat a large sauté pan over high heat, and place the cut sides of the broccolini down. Cook until chard, about 2 minutes, flip and cook the other side.
- Turn off the heat, zest the lemon directly over the broccolini, and season with black pepper freshly cracked, and the garlic confit oil.
Cooking Crispy Polenta Rounds
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Cut the polenta into 8 discs. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Heat a heavy sauté pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Add the polenta discs to the pan, cook on the stovetop for 5 minutes before pacing in the oven.
- Flip the polenta after cooking for 10 minutes, the bottom should be crispy and brown. Cook for another 10 minutes
How to serve Crispy Polenta with Mushroom Stroganoff
- Place a large spoonful of stroganoff sauce in the middle of the plate.
- Place the charred broccolini in the sauce. The crispy polenta rounds go on top of the broccolini, garnish with the roasted mushrooms and garlic confit.
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Serving: 6Ounces | Calories: 445kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1708mg | Potassium: 1503mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 1428IU | Vitamin C: 167mg | Calcium: 253mg | Iron: 6mg