Vegan Shepherd's Pie is an amazing comfort food that hits all of the notes for a cozy night at home. Mashed Potato topping, and rich filling all pipping hot.
Shop the Recipe...
How To Make Vegan Shepherd's Pie
For this recipe you will start by making Garlic Confit. Next you will begin the Garlic Mashed Potatoes. While the potatoes are cooking you can start on the filling below.
To begin preparing the Vegan Shepherd's Pie, cook the split red lentils then chop onion, carrot & mushrooms.
Sauté the vegetables and add herb. This is the foundation to building flavor for this recipe.
At this point, add the cooked red lentils and the slurry to thicken. Once incorporated, add the peas.
How to Assemble Vegan Shepherd's Pie
Place the lentil filling into the casserole dish (we used an 11" size). Gently add the Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Carefully smooth the potatoes, an offset spatula works well. The Score the potatoes with a fork. This will give the potatoes a nice appearance as some tip will become crispy during cooking.
Add the oil from the garlic confit. This will help the potatoes brown. Cook for 40-45 minutes in the oven.
We recommend using split red lentils because they are creamy and take on the flavors you add to them easily.
Ricing the Potatoes will give you a creamier potato, perfect for spreading.
Allowing the shepherd’s pie to rest is very important. It allows the filling to set up, and hold its shape when served. It also cools down enough to eat without burning your mouth.
Lentil Shepherd's Pie
Servings: 6 People
For this recipe you will start by making Garlic Confit. Next you will begin the Garlic Mashed Potatoes. While the potatoes are cooking you can start on the filling below.Print Recipe
- 1 Offset Spatula
Shepherd’s Pie Filling
- 2 cup split red lentils
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 cup carrot diced
- 8 oz button mushrooms diced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 thyme sprigs fresh
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 Tbsp Marmite
- 1 Tbsp poultry seasoning
- 1 Tbsp mushroom powder
- 2 Tbsp black vinegar
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup plant milk
- 1 cup peas frozen
Garlic Confit Mashed Potatoes
Note: Start your garlic confit and mashed potates first. While they are cooking you can start the Lentil filling
How to make Lentil Shepherd’s pie filling
- Rinse the red lentils, add the lentils to the boiling water, and stir the bottom with a wooden spoon. There always seem to be a few lentils that like to stick to the bottom. Cook the lentils for 6 minutes, drain and rinse under cold water, and drain again. Set aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat, and add the extra virgin olive oil. Allow the oil to heat up before adding the onions.
- Add the diced onions to the hot oil, and cook the onions for 3 minutes.
- Continue cooking over medium-high heat, and add the mushrooms. Cooking until the mushrooms start to take on some color, roughly 3 minutes more of cooking.
- Add the diced carrots to the pot, bay leaf, and thyme sprigs.
- Add the tomato paste, cooking over low heat for 1 minute. Add ¼ cup sauce soy sauce. Cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add the molasses, Marmite, poultry seasoning, mushroom powder, and black vinegar. Stir to combine cooking over low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of quality Cabernet Sauvignon (red wine). Cook for 5 minutes allowing the liquid to reduce a little.
- Add the red lentils to the filling, and mix to combine.
For the slurry
- Whisk the flour and plant milk together.
- Pour the slurry into the filling, and stir to incorporate. Cook for 5 minutes, the filling should be very thick. Remove the heat and set it aside.
Building Shepherd’s pie
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Pour shepherd’s pie filling into a casserole dish. Using the back of a large spoon smooth the filling to create a level surface.
- Place small piles of the garlic confit mashed potatoes on top of the shepherd’s pie filling.
- Using an offset spatula to smooth the garlic confit mashed potatoes, spread the mixture to the edge of the casserole dish.
- Using a fork score the garlic confit mashed potatoes, by pulling the fork across the potatoes. Drizzle some of the garlic confit oil on top of the potatoes.
- Cook for 40-45 minutes. The shepherd’s pie should be golden brown in color, with little pockets of the shepherd’s pie filling bubbling up along the edges.
- Allow the shepherd’s pie to rest for 20 minutes before serving.
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 1601mg | Potassium: 551mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 4123IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 104mg | Iron: 3mg