Making Vegan Scallops with Scampi Sauce has never been easier. This simple pasta dish will become a weeknight staple in your menu rotation. Roasted king oyster mushrooms bring that seafood note along with a wonderful texture.
Talk about a simple sauce it all happens in one pan, who does not that love that!!! If you want to make the sauce without wine, it is super easy. Simply omit the wine and replace it will vegetable broth and maybe an extra squeeze of lemon.
Shop the Recipe...
(King Oyster Mushrooms)
King Oyster Mushrooms
Scoring the Mushrooms
Searing the Vegan Scallops
Finished Vegan Scallops
Vegan Scampi Sauce
Garlic, Shallot, Parsley
Add the pasta to the shallot and garlic
Finishing the Vegan Scallops with Scampi Sauce
Finish with rye croutons and fresh parsley
When I make this dish, the big takeaway for me is you need to have enough sauce. I know this seems like a funny thing to say but it's true. The thing that’s hard to measure is how fast the sauce is reducing. So keep an eye on that. You can always add a bit more liquid if needed.
The good thing about this sauce is that it is a basic sauce that is based around simply adding more olive oil, pasta water, and lemon juice at the end. The goal is to have enough sauce to generously coat the pasta and have extra in the pan to drizzle over the top.
When cooking the king oyster mushrooms make sure to cook them over medium-high heat, the pan needs to be hot enough to brown evenly, but not so hot that the mushrooms burn before they can cook through. If the heat is too low the mushrooms will start to release their liquid and you will not be able to get that golden brown color because of the moisture in the pan.
We added a fun garnish to this dish to add some additional texture, the Rye Bread Croutons. These are really easy to make and so delicious!
Vegan Scallops with Scampi Sauce
Servings: 4 People
Making Vegan Scallops with Scampi Sauce has never been easier. This simple pasta dish will become a weeknight staple in your menu rotation. Roasted king oyster mushrooms bring that seafood note along with a wonderful texture.Print Recipe
- rye bread croutons see recipe
Roasting King Oyster Mushrooms
- Cut the king oyster mushrooms into ½ inch rounds. Using the tip of a pairing knife make score marks on the mushrooms, creating diamond shapes.
- Heat a heavy pan over medium-high heat, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the pan. Place the mushrooms in the pan and season with salt.
- Cook until golden brown, then flip and continue to cook until both sides are golden brown. Set aside.
How to Make Vegan Scampi Sauce
- Thinly slice the shallots and garlic.
- Heat a pan over medium heat, add 2 Tbsp of olive oil to the pan, sauté the shallots and the garlic until they are translucent and become tender.
- Add the white wine to the shallots, cooking for only 1 minute. Turn off the heat.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water seasoned with salt. Cook until al dente, reserve ¼ cup pasta water.
- Place the cooked pasta into the sauté pan with the sauce, turn the heat to medium-low, start to toss the pasta with sauce, add the vegan butter and a ¼ cup of the pasta cooking water. Continue to stir and emulsify the sauce.
- Add the king oyster mushrooms to the pasta, continue to stir, and work the sauce.
- Finish the sauce by adding the zest of 1 lemon zested on a microplane grater, chopped parsley, ½ of a lemon juiced, and a dash of olive oil. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Serving: 6oz. | Calories: 338kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 61mg | Potassium: 221mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 721IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 2mg