Socca is a chickpea pancake or flatbread. The great thing about this dish is the versatility it has. You can add just about any vegetable or none at all. You can top with dressings, cheeses, chutneys in an endless variety of flavor profiles to suit you tastes. We chose zucchini here and it turned out beautiful and delicious. We also recommend using the Caramelized Onions as an option!
How to Make Zucchini Socca
What You'll Need...
Chickpea flour/Garbanzo bean flour: this is an unleavened pancake/flatbread so you don't want the gluten for this recipe.
Extra virgin olive oil: the higher the quality the better, floral notes, wine of pepper, and a slight note of bitterness all shine through a great extra virgin olive oil.
Substitutions and Swaps
You can use just about any type of vegetable for this dish or no vegetable at all. We do recommend asparagus, tomatoes or just putting salad right on top!
Make sure the pan is hot and use enough oil when cooking the Socca, it will help to caramelize the edges and creates great flavor and texture.
We suggest serving this with a light Arugula Salad with a Lemon Vinaigrette.
If serving as an hors d'oeuvre, pair with chutney or salsa that guests can add themselves.
Servings: 2 pancakes
Socca is a chickpea pancake or flatbread. The great thing about this dish is the flexibility it has. You can add just about any vegetable or none at all. You can top with dressings, cheeses, chutneys in an endless variety of flavor profiles to suit you tastes. We chose zucchini here and it turned out beautiful and delicious. We also recommend using the Caramelized Onions as an option!Print Recipe
How to make Socca with roasted zucchini.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Whisk the water into the chickpea flour, add 2 Tbsp of olive oil, thyme leaves, and salt. The socca batter should have the consistency of full-fat coconut milk. The batter should be free of lumps, allow the batter to rest for 30 minutes.
- Cut the zucchini into quarters length-wise. Season with olive oil, lemon zest, salt, and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Heat a heavy 8-inch pan over medium-high heat, add 4 marinaded zucchini strips, and cook until lightly chard for about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the chard zucchini, add 1Tbsp olive oil, pour half of the batter over the zucchini, try to fill the gaps between the zucchini and the edge of the pan. Cook on top of the stove for 2 minutes then place in the oven for 3 minutes.
- Place a small plate over the socca, invert the pan to flip the socca out onto the plate.
- Repeat steps 4-6 to make a second socca.
How to serve zucchini Socca.
- Cut the zucchini socca into quarters, spoon some of the caper Kalamata olive chutney over each portion.
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 392kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Sodium: 1798mg | Potassium: 860mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 399IU | Vitamin C: 52mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 4mg