When there are not enough hours in the day I make this Vegan Green Curry with miso-roasted tofu and shiitake mushrooms. It is three pan meal, with some knife work, nothing major. It is as easy as putting the rice in the steamer, tofu, and shiitake mushrooms in the oven, and vegan greenery in a pot. In a matter of 30-40 minutes, you have a dinner that is as good as going out to dinner.
The vegan green curry is full of sweet aromatic flavors highlights of lemongrass and Kaffir lime make the curry so bright. This recipe is light on the spice but you could easily add your own to punch up the spice.
Combining miso, and tofu with shiitake mushrooms is such an easy move that has delivered on all fronts, with huge flavor, and to be honest, it is very diverse, just adjust the flavors that are layered on top of the miso paste.
Shop the Recipe...
WHAT YOU'LL NEED...
Green Curry Paste is widely at most grocery stores. Green chilies paired with coriander root, and herbs make for a bright and slightly sweet curry.
Coconut milk brings all of the rich creamy flavors and mouth feel. As the curry cooks the coconut milk will reduce making it sweet and richer in flavor.
Red Miso Paste is my new favorite ingredient. For years I used yellow miso paste which is on the mild side. Red miso on the other hand is darker in color, more assertive in flavor, slightly pungent, and saltier. It is a super flavor buster for sure.
Snow Peas are the perfect fresh green vegetable for a vegan curry. The peas are sweet and tender. The thing I like most is that the snow peas cook so fast all you have to do is add them to the curry two minutes before serving.
How To Make Vegan Green Curry Sauce
Smash the lemongrass and slice the garlic. You'll add this to your sauté pan with the green curry paste.
Add the vegetable stock, plant milk, coconut milk and kaffir lime leave. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the snow peas and cook for 2 minutes in the sauce.
How to Make Miso Tofu with Shiitake Mushrooms
Press the tofu then slice into squares. Cut the stems of the mushrooms off.
Slice the shallots thinly. Toss with red miso paste mixture.
Toss mushrooms, tofu and shallots with miso mixture until well coated. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet to cook.
Red miso roasted tofu, shiitake mushrooms and shallots.
I have found that sometimes the coconut milk separates during the cooking. Don’t stress there is an easy fix. Just before you add the snow peas, remove the lemongrass and Kaffir Lime leaves, then use a handheld immersion blender to emulsify the vegan green curry. Place the curry back on the stove and add the snow peas.
Vegan Green Curry
Servings: 4 People
Vegan green curry is full of sweet aromatic flavors with highlights of lemongrass and Keifer lime that make the curry so bright. This recipe is light on the spice but you could easily add your own to punch up it up!Print Recipe
Green Curry with Tofu
Miso Tofu with Shiitake Mushrooms
- 2 -4 scallions sliced thinly on the bias
- 2 cups steam rice
How to make Green Curry Sauce
- Heat the extra virgin over medium-low heat. The garlic and lemongrass are sautéed for 2-3 minutes.
- The green curry is added next, cooking for 2 minutes.
- The vegetable stock and plant milk are added next, sir to combine.
- The coconut milk should be whisked into the stock and plant milk.
- Add the kaffir lime leaves, and reduce the heat to a low simmer.
- Cook for 30 minutes, and continue to whisk occasionally.
- Remove the lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves, if the fat has separated, use a handheld immersion blender to emulsify the green curry.
- Add the snow peas to the green curry 2 minutes before serving, gently cooking until the snow peas turn a bright green.
How to make Miso Tofu with Shiitake Mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Press the tofu for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the red miso, rice wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and kosher salt, Stir to combine.
- Remove the tofu from the press, and cut it into one-inch by one-inch cubes.
- Remove the stems from the shiitake mushrooms.
- Combine the shallots, tofu, and shiitake mushrooms ninth bowl with the miso marinade.
- Using your hands gently massage the shiitake mushrooms and the tofu with the miso marinade.
- Spread the tofu and shiitake mushrooms on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- The tofu should be roasted with some crisping on the edges.
Platting Green Curry with Miso Roasted Tofu and Shiitake Mushrooms
- Place as much rice as you'd like on the plate. Place the tofu and shiitake mushrooms in front of the rice, and ladle 2 large portions of green curry over the top. Garnish with sliced scallions.
- The other option is to place the green curry in a large bowl, placing the tofu and shiitake mushroom right into the green curry. Serving the rice on the side.
Nutritional values are an estimate.
Calories: 413kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Sodium: 905mg | Potassium: 767mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 5216IU | Vitamin C: 36mg | Calcium: 273mg | Iron: 7mg