We're not usually interested in jumping into social media crazes but this one was popping up everywhere so we gave it our own twist by, first, making it vegan and second, making it a savory custard instead of the traditionally sweet style. It turned out fantastic and so easy to make. We know you'll love it!
Curry Custard Toast
I made the curry custard with our Chili Lime Vegan Mayo if you don’t have some on hand or do not want to make a batch, the easiest fix is to use plain vegan yogurt. You will want to taste the yogurt first to judge the acidy level of the yogurt, add rice wine vinegar to find that right balance of creamy and rich with a hint of acid.
Our vegan mayo recipe is the foundation to this recipe, you can make the Chili Lime Vegan Mayo recipe and leave out the chili lime. You will have a flavorful vegan mayo the is a blank canvas to create just about any type of custard you want. For example, you can add a basil puree, top with thinly sliced heirloom tomatoes; season with salt and black pepper. So fresh and light perfect for the summer.
Bread might come up as the next issue, you can use any type of bread you have on hand. However, note that a full-flavored and textured bread will yield a better experience.
I would serve this as a lunch or light dinner with a salad that is seasonal and full of wonderful, fresh crisp vegetables and light bright vinaigrette.
Curry Custard Mushroom Toast
Servings: 4 People
This savory toast is a great lunch or snack on the go with bug flavors of curry and umami.Print Recipe
Vegan Curry Custard - Prep 5 minutes
Roasted Mushrooms and Shaved Garlic
Chinese Chives - Prep and Cook 2 Minutes
- 1 cup Chinese chives cut in half
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ciabatta bread cut lengthwise
How to make Vegan Curry Custard
- Mix all the ingredients, whisk or stir to combine.
How to make perfect Roasted Mushrooms
- Cut the mushroom in half straight down the middle to keep the stem intact.
- Heat a heavy pan over medium-high heat, use just enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Place the cut side of the mushrooms down first, season with salt.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes. The mushrooms should be a dark caramel color. Flip the mushrooms and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- Place the shaved garlic in the pan with 1/2 tsp of olive oil, cook over low heat for 2 minutes, season with salt and set them aside.
Roasted Chinese Chives (substitute spinach or arugula)
- Using the same pan as the mushrooms were cooked in, heat the pan to high heat.
- Add the olive oil and the Chinese chives. Allow to cook for 1 minute, stirring as you go.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
How to make Custard Toast
- Spread a generous amount of the vegan curry custard on the bread.
- Place the roasted mushrooms cut side up on the custard, gently press the mushroom into the curry custard. This is an opportunity to make an artful pattern with the mushrooms.
- Place the Chinese chives artfully around the mushrooms.
- Place the shaved garlic in the same manner as the other ingredients.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the top of the toast.
- Place in the oven preheated to 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
Nutritional values are an estimate
Serving: 4oz. | Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 571mg | Potassium: 253mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 897IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg